Engine numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine numbers

I have a 1957 with good numbers for the title, however the right case has been replaced in the past, and has no numbers on the bottom. Will this dis-qualify me from showing my bike at AMCA events?
    Jim

I doubt that just the fact that you have no RH belly numbers will be a problem. Technically you should be DQ'ed but if the skid plate is in place the RH number is difficult to see. Other things more obvious may be of more concern though. Are there 7's or H's or anything stamped into both cases near the rear mount bolts? Is the vin actually good and a factory stamp? Is the frame the correct one for 1957? Many things come into play and it is hard to answer your question without all the facts.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I went out and checked the rear mount boss and the left case has an "H" the right case has nothing. The frame is correct and the engine number is good. I guess the question is do I need to start looking for a right hand case since the rest of the bike is all original and a great example of what a 57 should look like.

Comment

I think most judges would notice you have one FLH case half and one FL case half. The bike wouldn't have come out of the crate that way, so judging would be a problem for you. If the bike is as original as you stated, maybe finding a different case half would be a good idea. However, from a judging stand point, any bike with mis-matched cases would never be considered "right". None of this carries any weight off the judging field...
        VPH-D

Comment

I have a problem with your statement that you "have a 1957 with good numbers for the title". Plenty of old bikes have legitimate titles with crap numbers. Do you know for a fact that yours are factory numbers? The fact that they match what the title says is no assurance that they are real. The mismatched cases are a red flag but there are legitimate reasons for such a mismatch. Usually as a result of a cam bearing area cracked case issue. But without pictures of your cases all of this discussion is mere speculation...
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I'll take a photo of the numbers and post it for your consideration, the left case does have the original anti-theft numbers. When the engine was last overhauled the shop mentioned that there were no numbers on the right case, however there is no sign of them being covered or altered.
            Thanks for all the attention, I truly want to make this bike as original as I possibly can. Yes the cases may not match, however I want to present a bike that is as original as is possible, there are few great barn finds left and future generations should enjoy a bike that may not "technically" be perfect in all aspects, it should be an example of what was available in 1957 and a few stamped numbers just don't seem to be such a big deal. I guess I am not a "perfect as built snob" since it is only $$$$ that separate us.

Comment

Originally posted by JimRaynovic View Post
              I'll take a photo of the numbers and post it for your consideration, the left case does have the original anti-theft numbers.
              What anti theft numbers? The only numbers in 1957 were the line bore numbers and the serial number.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I was referring to the line bore numbers, I have been told they were recorded at the factory and can be accessed by a authorized dealer or law enforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by JimRaynovic View Post
                  I was referring to the line bore numbers, I have been told they were recorded at the factory and can be accessed by a authorized dealer or law enforcement.
                  The MoCo does have a numerical listing of Line Bore numbers. The engine number assigned to them is also recorded. These were not applied to be anti theft numbers. The Anti Theft numbers on frames, transmission case, and lower fork clamp appeared in 1962.
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                  X