1959 Panhead FL Swing Arm question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 Panhead FL Swing Arm question.

I am restoring a 1959 Harley FL. I don't think it is a pieced together bike.

I am using the latest version of the Palmer Book for my information.

The swing arm I have is what Palmer identifies as a type 3, 1960/61. He indicates a type 2 with a different left axle clip is correct for a 1958/59.

Could a type 3 swing arm be correct for a late in the year bike?

If it was my bike I would use it. A lot of the decisions on parts that have evolved is made off of pictures of bikes that were used in 'Introductory Literature'. It is not uncommon to see a change that is 'Introduced' in the new model literature on higher production bikes from the previous year -- and besides, I just want to see the bike ridden.

Comment

Does your 59 have a high serial number?
      VPH-D

Comment

The VIN number is in the 5500 range. According to the Palmer Book, the production range is 59xx1000 to 59xx6767. I think that may put it later in production. What do you think?
        Last edited by fxsjim; 05-11-2015, 08:55 PM.

Comment

I think I'd just use it...
          VPH-D

Comment

Just for reference, my 59FL is VIN range 20xx and it has the type 2 from Palmer's book. Many years ago I added a grease zirk (underside so it is not obvious) to be able to grease the swing arm bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by jgbrown59 View Post
              Just for reference, my 59FL is VIN range 20xx and it has the type 2 from Palmer's book. Many years ago I added a grease zirk (underside so it is not obvious) to be able to grease the swing arm bearings.
              Blasphemy.....lol

Comment

Working...
              X