Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about changing oil

Hello,

Question from a newbie. I have a '54 Panhead and when I drain the oil tank and change the filter, I was thinking about the oil left in the motor. Should that be removed somehow or is draining the oil in the tank enough? Thanks for your help.

Matt!

Please do not attempt to drain the case oil at the plug at the bottom of the left case.
    It is so close to the frame, that often the threads will be fouled, and re-installation would take luck and a surgeon's skill.
    It would probably then leak anyway.

The amount of oil in the cases should be minimal, unless you have a modern sprocket shaft seal for a belt drive.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I never drain the case, thanks, Larry

Comment

I generally kick it through with the plug out of the oil bag, then I put about a quart of kerosene in the oil tank and shake the bike around so it will slosh around then I drain the oil tank again. When I re fill it I kick it through until I see oil returning before I ever fire it off. I got this out of the factory manual for 1959-1969. I have been doing this since 1973,same bike and same procedure, over 40 years the bike is my avatar.

I celeriter tempus deficit

Comment

Originally posted by goat View Post
          ... then I put about a quart of kerosene in the oil tank and shake the bike around so it will slosh around then I drain the oil tank again. .
          Goat!

Pulsing it with a turkey baster is a lot easier. A piece of vinyl tubing upon it lets you get the nooks 'n crannys.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the help! Have a great weekend.

Comment

After draining and cleaning my oil tank, I fill the tank with fresh oil (your choice) and replace filter. I remove the return line and hook up another line to it and then place that into a clear bottle. Start the bike and wait till oil runs clear into the bottle, shut off bike and replace return line to oil tank and fill oil tank to correct level.
              Surprising how much dirty oil is in all the nooks and crannies of your engine. Oil stays clean and fresh for a long time when it hasn't mixed with dirty oil in engine.
              I do this with my 69' shovel, my 47' 45 flathead and my 95' Road king.

Comment

Leave the case drain plug alone.

Comment

Working...
                X