Star hub help needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star hub help needed.

I need some help. I have some star hubs with badly pitted bearing surfaces. I have been trying to figure out a good way to repair or convert them to either timken or sealed bearing. I purchased the custome copper cookbook. They discuss a sealed bearing conversion. At this point this is the way I am leaning. I am always open to recommendations but was wondering if someone might be able to ask some questions about the sealed bearing conversion. I am working on 36 to 65 hubs.

In their diagram on page 93 of the custom chopper cookbook they are listing a thrust washer eliminator spacer. Is this a later part or maybe a aftermarket part? I would assume once this space is in place you could put the star caps on.

In the diagram they also show cutting the brake spacer collar off flush at the lip of the spacer so the wheel will line up. They state to use the collar as a seal race. I am guessing you get rid of the rest of the spacer. I am having a hard time visualizing this.

I understand the axel adapter/bearing spacer has to be made. Any advice on the fabrication?

Thanks
    Jeff

Jeff!

My "advice" is to keep the original design by installing a race.
    It simplifys things dramatically, particularly since it is usually the small end that is spalled, and a 45" rod race can be made to fit perfectly.
    I believe there is a comparable race for the fat end, but I never needed to repair one.

Beware also that minor rust pitting is no reason to trash a hub.

....Cotten
    Attached Files
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Hi Jeff,
      go to www.wwag.com , search part number 27-033 , they have an axle sleeve in an oversize for the small side available.
      George

Comment

Mr Cotten,

Thanks for the advice. I agree with you that putting the race in would be an easier repair. I do have a few hubs that will need the large and small ends repaired. When your hubs have minor pitting do you even hone them?

Jeff
        Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
        Jeff!

My "advice" is to keep the original design by installing a race.
        It simplifys things dramatically, particularly since it is usually the small end that is spalled, and a 45" rod race can be made to fit perfectly.
        I believe there is a comparable race for the fat end, but I never needed to repair one.

Beware also that minor rust pitting is no reason to trash a hub.

....Cotten

Comment

Where is the best place to buy the torrington rollers?

Thanks
          Jeff

Comment

Working...
          X