Early hydraulic lifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early hydraulic lifters

I'm building a stock 1951 with original hydraulic lifters (at the top of the pushrods). Does anyone have experience using stiffer valve springs with these? I'm thinking of using an FLH cam and springs but I've read that the lifters at the top of the pushrods didn't get enough oil pressure (thus the change).

Thanks for any help, Scott

I've done a couple of early panhead motors with overhead hydraulic lifters using Andrews J-Grind cams, which is quite close to the FLH grind. All have performed very well and with long standing results. You just have to make sure that the lifter clearances are still tight and that they don't leak-through. Also in my opinion, I don't think that the stronger springs are needed, nor would they eliminate falve float, should it occur.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Comment

Originally posted by carverscott View Post
      I'm building a stock 1951 with original hydraulic lifters (at the top of the pushrods). Does anyone have experience using stiffer valve springs with these? I'm thinking of using an FLH cam and springs but I've read that the lifters at the top of the pushrods didn't get enough oil pressure (thus the change).

Thanks for any help, Scott
      Scott , were the units functioning properly before the build?
      Adam

Comment

Adam, I bought the bike as a restoration project, the original lifters had the lifter pistons welded to make them solid. I've bought another set of pushrods with lifters that I still need to disassemble, clean and check the leak down.

Comment

I like the idea of using the stock units, my last attempt failed, I couldn't get them to pump up and hold. They seemed to test good , but just wouldn't hold. I'm going to pull the engine and check the springs and rockers. I do have a j grind . I didn't build this engine , I bought the bike with a fresh rebuild, and in every other aspect it's performed well. Good luck with it Scott , hope they perform well for you.
          Adam

Comment

Hi Bill & Scott,
            own a 50FL Panhead. Actually are solid pushrods installed, but I will change it into a set of original hydro pushrods I bought last time.
            Before I do that, how can I test the hydro pushrods in case of their proper function? And , if they are bad, how I can retrofit they ?
            George
            AMCA 2781

Comment

Working...
            X