Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 wiring diagram

Hi.
    I am replacing a very ratty loom on a 65 Pan that I am restoring. I bought one of the restoration cloth loom replacements and all was going well until I got to the ignition switch. Is the OEM diagram of the switch drawn in 3rd hand projection?
    The switch is drawn in a configuration that does not correspond to how it sits on the bike.
    I have copied the original wiring diagram for reference.

Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Steve, your missing the key page that tells you what the numbers relate to. If nobody posts it tonight. I will in morning as soon as I get into the shop. Bob
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Thanks Bob. Appreciate your help.
      Wiring should be easy, just follow the directions on the page....right?....but there must be a confubulator filter somewhere between my eye balls and my brain.
      Ive spent 8 hours on it, and I will have to go over it all again before I,m confident.
      Steve
      Last edited by Steve Little; 11-04-2014, 01:59 AM.
      Steve Little
      Australia.
      AMCA member 1950

Comment

I was having a rest and had another look at the drawing on my iPad.
        I happened to turn the screen 1/4 turn anti clockwise, and viewing the screen at this angle, made the ignition switch lugs in the correct alignment.

My mind was stuck in the mode of "It's drawn wrong", but the reality is that I just needed to free up my mind, and explore other possibilities.

A friend of mine used to say "He was never wrong, but he might be mistaken"
        I could adopt this mode of thinking, but the fact is, the drawing is correct.
        Hate that!!
        Steve Little
        Australia.
        AMCA member 1950

Comment

The headlight is on the left-taillamp on right-indicating the front of motorcycle to the left
          Steve -I always do separate drawings[color coded] for each loom and it's connection points-and keep them in a file for next job

Comment

Has anyone got a copy of the directional lamp wiring diagram. This must have been a supplement for dealers, as it is not in the workshop manual.

There is a chrome dress cover on the 65A generator. Was this a standard issue part on all 1965 Pans or was it part of a dress up package?

I don't have the correct distributor for this engine.
            If anyone has one, I need a two bolt base, auto advance top, distributor.
            Personal message me if you have one.
            Thanks in advance.
            Steve
            Steve Little
            Australia.
            AMCA member 1950

Comment

There is a chrome dress cover on the 65A generator. Was this a standard issue part on all 1965 Pans or was it part of a dress up package?
              Steve,
              End cover was standard, body cover was not.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie.
                Steve Little
                Australia.
                AMCA member 1950

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Little View Post
                  Has anyone got a copy of the directional lamp wiring diagram. This must have been a supplement for dealers, as it is not in the workshop manual.

I don't have the correct distributor for this engine.
                  If anyone has one, I need a two bolt base, auto advance top, distributor.
                  Personal message me if you have one.
                  Thanks in advance.
                  Steve
                  Steve I cannot remember who gave me this information so I cannot afford them the credit due, but this should help...

Comment

Continuing...

Comment

Steve, the generator should be a model 65, not a 65A!

Comment

Thanks Panz4ever
                        That is a marvelose gesture to share a piece of genuine literature with all the community.

Thanks upsrod for the clarification.
                        I will have to use this 65A for the time being as it is all I have, until I find this "new to me" part.

Regards Steve
                        Steve Little
                        Australia.
                        AMCA member 1950

Comment

Hi Steve,
                          I know, I'm late for your discussion. But, it's easy. The wiring diagram figure 5B-22 shows the Harley "horizontal - from right hand to left hand". See the headlamp left and the taillight right. So the ignition Switch # 6 is drawn horizontal too (compare it with figure 5B-10, #34 is vertical drawn).
                          Second, for the direction lamp Installation you can use the wiring figure 5B-22A for 1968-69 E-Glides. It's the same wiring.
                          George
                          AMCA 2781

Comment

Does anyone happen to have the spotlight instructions?? Or can tell me were they terminate.I have the factory switch with colored wiring as well as the lights but I don't see where they go on the terminal board. In the diagram.Am I missing something???

Comment

Originally posted by paddy View Post
                              Does anyone happen to have the spotlight instructions?? Or can tell me were they terminate.I have the factory switch with colored wiring as well as the lights but I don't see where they go on the terminal board. In the diagram.Am I missing something???
                              This is the only diagram I have. Again I do not recall from where so I cannot give credit where credit is due.

And Paddy I just replied to a pm you had sent me in January. The 3rd one is the one you should read. Might be what you needed.

Dave
                              Last edited by panz4ever; 02-19-2015, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X