Correct carb for '51 FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct carb for '51 FL

I've just begun restoring a '51 FL and I'm looking for a correct carb for it. It has late serial number cases so I was looking for a Tillotson M74 B and assumed they all used body number 2-418. I came across an ad for carb body # 2-408 that was stamped M74 B and the seller said it was the correct carb for a '51. Unfortunately, it had some "custom" machining done to the outside of it so it wouldn't work for the bike I want to build and I've yet to see another 2-408 body stamped with the "B". Does anyone know if this is the only carb body that's correct for a late '51 or can I use a M74 B with the 2-418 body? (as far as AMCA judging goes) Thanks, Scott

Scott, The M74-B is a L&L Manufacturing (Linkert) model number. Check Mike's website at http://linkertcarbs.com/linkert2.html or from home page scroll to bottom of page and click on "Application data base for Linkert carburetors, including the DC models". Cotten (a member on this forum) is a great source for Linkert carbs. William
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

Do you mean a Linkert M74B? I'm pretty sure that is a VERY common carburetor. It seems like at least half of the linkert bodies that I pick up to look at at swap meets are M74B's.
      Mark
      Mark Masa
      www.linkcycles.com

Comment

If you might also be able to use an M74 if you have an early VIN. The M74B cam later in the year in 1951.
        Bill Pedalino
        Huntington, New York
        AMCA 6755

Comment

There are multiple versions of the M74B. the following photo was posted by Cotten on another site showing the progression in changes to the casting as well as the stamping (serif or non-serif).

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Yeah, I meant Linkert- my brain must have been on vacation last night. Thanks for all of the info and William, thanks for the link. I'm still trying to figure it out though. The Linkert application link shows a late 408 casting M74 for early '51 and an early 408 casting M74B for late '51. The next line shows a late 418 casting M74B for '52-'65 so I'm assuming there's a misprint and they meant an early 418 for '51. I'll do some more research to try to find out when they stopped using the 408 casting. If anyone's interested, the ad I saw for the 408 M74B carb body is ebay# 151409383021- it's machined out just behind the power needle boss, don't know why anyone would do that...

Comment

You should do a search here at the AMCA forum for Tom Cotten's posts on Linkert castings. He's done extensive research, and provides very detailed pictures to show his findings.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Scott!

I have encountered M74s with both 398 and 408 castings, and I currently have on the bench a serif'd B with a 408 casting. It also has the vent "milled", as does my own M74.
                (Please note that the crud in the needle hole was left on this fresh "restoration" by the previously-quoted source.)
                VENTMILX.JPG
                Often the "milling" varies greatly; I cannot photo my own as it is on the machine, but it looks hand-carved.
                ventmill.jpg VENTMIL2.jpg
                Yet another M74 with a 408 casting has not been milled, and appears at the top:
                INDPLS.jpg

It would be folly to declare anything absolute about these constantly changing productions.

....Cotten
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-21-2014, 01:36 PM.
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Cotten, I haven't seen that milling before but I guess it's fairly common. By the way, where can I buy Durable floats? I did a quick search and found lots of info but no purchase info. My main ride is a '65 FLH with a brass float that works fine except when I run at high speeds for long periods. Then, the weight of the float bends the pivot lever down enough to close off the fuel feed when I stop and the float bowl fills up. Will the Durable solve this? Should I change the float lever? Thanks, Scott

Comment

Scott!

I only remember three that have been milled, so I wouldn't call it "common".

A float of proper buoyancy will cure a lot of ills, however the levers often need attention as well, particularly if the heavy float has worn the "fingers".
                    FNGRWRX.jpg
                    Please feel free to email me direct at liberty@npoint.net,

....Cotten
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-21-2014, 02:23 PM.
                    AMCA #776
                    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...item486f1b1a97

Comment

Working...
                      X