Stainless Rocker Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless Rocker Cover

Was the stainless magnetic or not, or did HD use different types over the span of this cover? I have 5 stainless covers, one is non-magnetic and four are magnetic. Did a search and didn't see anything. Thanks for any insight.
    Bob Rice #6738

Bob!

The act of pressing and distorting the stainless imparts the magnetic affinity, or so I read on the web.
    It surprises me that you have one that is not!

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Bob, I checked the pans on my '51 with a very strong magnet, and they are non-magnetic. I've had this bike since the mid-80s and the covers looked old then. However, I would think the alloy could have varied by design from H-D engineers if they were looking for a cheaper, or easier to stamp cover.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
        Was the stainless magnetic or not, or did HD use different types over the span of this cover? I have 5 stainless covers, one is non-magnetic and four are magnetic. Did a search and didn't see anything. Thanks for any insight.
        I need a pair for my 53 if you're interested in parting with a pair.

Comment

I too have one that is magnetic and one that is not...every other genuine H-D stainless part I have is magnetic, air cleaner covers, horn power pack cover, Hydra-Glide front and back panels and the cow bells.

Comment

From what I understand, some, or all SS is magnetic. Apparently is depends on the grade of the SS.
            VPH-D

Comment

Originally posted by VPH-D View Post
              From what I understand, some, or all SS is magnetic. Apparently is depends on the grade of the SS.
              VPH-D
              300 series stainless is non magnetic.

Comment

316L -pure stainless is not magnetic-most Stainless had iron added to make it malleable-pure stainless does not bend easily without cracking-were they molded and not bent? Bent hot?Most original stainless HD parts are attracted to magnet.Stainless sheet metal is often 304 stainless-not pure
                Last edited by duffeycycles; 09-01-2014, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                  16L -pure stainless is not magnetic-most Stainless had iron added to make it malleable-pure stainless does not bend easily without cracking-were they molded and not bent? Bent hot?Most original stainless HD parts are attracted to magnet.Stainless sheet metal is often 304 stainless-not pure
                  16L is from the 300 series, the "L" is low carbon. 316L is highly corrosion resistant. That stuff is tough to machine as well.

Comment

low carbon steel cutting speed= 90---316L =40[did a lot of that!]

Comment

I have a 1948 EL that is original unrestored (winners circle bike)...sorry I can't keep from bragging on it. When I got it from the original owner, it had 1952 plates on it. Anyway it has SS non magnetic pans.
                      Enjoy your Labor Day to all.
                      Runnlo

Comment

There wrong. 48 had chrome plated steel. Bob L
                        AMCA #3149
                        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

You wouldn't want to bet on that would you? If so then you name your own amount, I'll go as far as you want to go.
                          I just told you that I bought the bike from the original owner, and he only rode it for four years. I've owned it for 35 yrs. I'ts won every award it can win, and the pans have never been questioned. So now the question is....how much are you willing to lose. I'll be waiting.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's responses. I was hoping for a cut and dried answer, but it seems like maybe HD went with either material depending on vendor or what was cheapest at the time? Maybe they started off non-magnetic then switched? I think I am opting to go with the non-magnetic.

UPSROD, do you want to trade your non for a magnetic one, sell or other trade for something you need? Assuming the two you have are not on a bike.

CDNDEWEY, let's see how things turn out and maybe we can do some trading, do you want the non or the magnetic type?
                            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Here's a little more cut to dry, Bob...

On the left is a piece of stainless sheet that has no detectable affinity for the speaker magnet next to it.
                              Hanging upon the magnet is a piece of the same sheet that has been pressed upon a doming block.
                              STAINTST.jpg
                              The mystery is why some covers are not magnetic. (All of mine are.)

....Cotten
                              PS: Yes, they are near vertical in the photo.
                              Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-01-2014, 02:45 PM.
                              AMCA #776
                              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                              X