Rear brake-shoe spring for 1950 FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear brake-shoe spring for 1950 FL

Hi, folks. A bit of a daft question(s) here, but I am putting together the rear brake on my 1950 FL, and am uncertain on a couple of things. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks, in advance!
    1) I understand that there is only one spring, on the cam side. Bruce P. says that I should "Set the brake spring's hook inward on the rear (lower) shoe and outward on the front (upper) shoe." I have interpreted this as: if I am holding the brake with the shoes facing me, backing plate at the rear, with the cam at the bottom of the circle and the pivot stud at the top of the circle, front shoe on the right and rear shoe on the left - on the front shoe the spring goes behind the shoe and through, so the hook is coming through from the back with its end poking out at me, whereas on the rear shoe the spring goes over the shoe and the hook goes through to the backing plate. So, do y'all agree that that is the way it is supposed to be, or did I do it backwards?
    2) Mr. P. also says that "the recess [on the shoes] at the pivot stud end determines the shoes position. The large recess goes towards the backing plate." My repro. parts book shows this backwards, and if I install with the wider recess towards the backing plate, nothing fits well - shoes ride too high on the pivot stud and cam, so that I can't put the cup and split pin through the stud. If I reverse so that the larger recess at the pivot-stud end faces the drum, everything settles down. So, should I just assume that this is one of the few mistakes in the book, or that BP meant a different recess, or that I have again got things backwards.

Thanks again.

Justin

Recess goes toward the backing plate. While I'm sure that some responders will cite death and distruction, my experience in over 40 years of doing this is that I've always installed both spring hooks facing the backind plate with never any ill affect.
    Last edited by billpedalino; 08-25-2014, 07:50 AM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Comment

As Bill says on the recess. The spring is set like Palmer says in order to equalize the pull. When installed from the outside only the shoes have a tendency to cock slightly and this causes a loss of braking area on the shoes. It is obvious when an old brake that was set up like that is taken apart and the wear ends halfway across the width of the shoes.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks very much, Bill and Robbie. So, just to be clear, if you look at the attached pictures, the spring is fine, but I need to flip the shoes to make the recess towards the plate? Thanks again.2014-08-25 07.39.50.jpg2014-08-25 07.40.21.jpg

Comment

I E Mailed Bruce Palmer III about this. Here is his reply.

Chris,

Please let Justin know:

On issue 1, he has interpreted my writing correctly.

On issue 2, an old error that MBI would not correct. The new book reads “The large recess faces away from the backing plate.”

The new book will be ready probably by September 12th. The new book can be pre-ordered at dppublications@verizon.net

Heading out now.

Thanks,
          Bruce
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Dang, Chris! That is really kind of you, and helpful. Good stuff! I pre-ordered the two-volume behemoth from Debbie in early August, I think, as soon as I saw the news on it. If you can, please thank Bruce also on my behalf for his help.

Thanks yet again!

Justin

Comment

Justin,
              The shoes look good, but that is the wrong outer cup on the stud. The correct one has a center hole that is the same diameter as the stud. the inner and outer cups are different.
              Robbie
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks, Robbie! I am already on that one, as that cup was splitting. Probably because it was being used in the wrong application! (This bike is new to me as of Oct. last year). So there are new cups on their way from the Borcherts, after Davenport.

Thanks again, all of you, for your rapid help and knowledge on this!

Justin

Comment

Working...
                X