Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear crash bars for 1965 flh won't fit (VTWIN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear crash bars for 1965 flh won't fit (VTWIN)

I'm in the process of putting my 65 FLH back together and had bought VTWIN's rear crash bar set (pn 51-0928) and when I went to put them on, the shock stud is too small to screw into the threads on the crash bar. I do see that VTWIN sells a stud kit (pn 54-0409) that looks like it might be the solution, but nowhere do I find any supporting information that this is what I need to mount the crash bars. I searched the forum, but couldn't find any hits. I can't be the only one to run into this problem, can I? Need a little bit of help here, if you can.

Thanks,
    SF

The 65's had 3/8-24 threads, 66-67 used 7/16-20. You will need to change the studs to make the crash bars fit.
    Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Any idea where I can find this? The VTWIN 54-0409 shows the threads to be 5/8X18 and 1/2X20. I can't find anything online that has the 7/16X20 thread.

SF

Comment

I did what I should have done first....mic'ed the crash bar and it turns out to be 1/2X20. This means the VTWIN 54-0409 and oem 54515-65 are the correct sizes. I have been told that the early 65's had the smaller outside threads and later in the model year was changed. Oh my, what a pleasure to restore this year.

SF

p.s. Found the best price at M&M Cycles in Ohio.
        Last edited by Semper Fi; 07-29-2014, 09:56 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Sorry Semper Fi. That is the second time I called it as the 7/16 size knowing full well it is 1/2. You would think after I was corrected the first time I'd remember. I looked for a long time to find a decent original set of bars for my 65.
          Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Not a problem. Thanks for trying.

SF

Comment

My '65, made Aug. 11 of 1964 has the 1/2 upper stud size.

Comment

Thanks, Rod. Mine must have been earlier because the stud is smaller.

SF

Comment

Still having problems.... got the newer studs from VTWIN and they are 1/2X20. The bars, also from VTWIN, won't accept the studs. I can't figure out what is going on. They seem to have a different pitch. I thought the bars had the 20 pitch, but they don't. HELP, please.

SF

Comment

Can you fit a thread pitch gauge into threaded hole in the bars? No telling what V-Twin used for internal threads.
                    VPH-D

Comment

Originally posted by VPH-D View Post
                      Can you fit a thread pitch gauge into threaded hole in the bars? No telling what V-Twin used for internal threads.
                      VPH-D
                      Yes, I'll try that today, but I would have thought that since both products were made by them, that they would be compatible with each other. Guess I was wrong!

SF

Comment

Maybe a Helicoil is the answer ?
                        Bill Pedalino
                        Huntington, New York
                        AMCA 6755

Comment

The problem has been solved. I chased the threads on the studs and the bars. Seems the chrome was enough to prevent the threading between the two. I tried this with a cheap set of Japanese taps and dies, but they weren't accurate enough to get the desired effect. I took them over to a buddy with a good set and that fixed it.

SF

Comment

Question... How can you tell the day your bike was made? I just acquired a '65 and am very curious.

Comment

I don't have any way of knowing that, I'm afraid.

SF

Comment

Working...
                              X