how do you change grips on a 65 panhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you change grips on a 65 panhead

I want to change the black grips out on my 65 Panhead. The rest of the controls and foot rests are white, so I want to change the grips to white. I've searched all over for tips on how to do this, but have come up empty. Lots of videos for later bikes, but I can't find any for my 65. Any help would sure be appreciated.

SF

Are you asking about separating the black grips from the throttle and handlebar without damaging the original grips and installing new white grips. If the black are OEM and good yet save them for another day. I always had very good luck using Lacquer thinner and a few thin long flat blade screwdrivers slowing getting under the inside lifting the grip up and squirting lacquer thinner under and quickly twisting getting the quick drying liquid under the sticky rubber and pulling it off slowly without damaging the grip. It's usually a very slow process. Actually the same works well putting new grips on. Lacquer thinner dries quickly and makes a new sticky grip slide on quickly and when I say quickly you need to push fast or your on part way and stuck needing to start over. I have soaked the inside of the rubber grip sometimes leaving lacquer fluid inside and pushing the grip on as fast as possible. Never used glues or any lubricants for good reason. Like to hear other methods but this always worked for me since installing grips when I worked in shops.

Comment

Semper Fi!

If you sincerely wish to save the original grip, as you should, then gently almost-boiling them in hot water should allow you to work a long ice-pick (or whatever) between the grip and the spiral to break loose any adhesives.

Beware that any extended soak in solvents even as gentle as mineral spirits will swell the vinyl temporarily, but then cause it to shrink and turn quite hard.

Just learning from my own mistakes,

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

There was an article in the club mag back when Steve Blancard did the Blood, Sweat & Gears section. There for a while he asked people to write in their tech tips. I remember there was one where it went in to detail about getting orig grips off. Maybe someone else will remember, something with heating the grip, pent oil, thin blade and a shoestring. Just looked through about the last 10 yrs of copies quickly and couldn't find it. Maybe do a search on the AMCA site. Sorry, that's all I got for now. Maybe I can look more later if no one else finds it first.
        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

remove as stated install with hairspray

Comment

I forgot to mention, Folks,...

Common tableware ''butter knives" have infinite applications.
            (Pressed to a curve with an old wristpin.)

Check your local dumpster.

....Cotten
            Attached Files
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-17-2014, 10:50 AM.
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cool, thanks, Guys!

SF

Comment

Working...
              X