Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No instant reserve shutoff valve on 65 panhead tank.... correct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No instant reserve shutoff valve on 65 panhead tank.... correct?

I just bought a 65 FLH that appears to have the correct tanks except for the shutoff valve. The reserve and shutoff valve is underneath the left tank, not on top. As this is a late 65, could this be correct? I see this is the configuration for the 66 and later and that the 65 is a unique bird, so maybe this was normal for the later 65's?

SF

65 should be like 64 and earlier with the fuel shut off rod on the top of the left tank. 66 is a one year only deal with a shut off valve or petcock located under the right side tank. I know of no stock petcock or shut off valve configuration that is under the left tank except for early knuckle and flatheads which had petcocks for both sides of the tanks. Basially for 40 on up until 65 it was the same. 66 was the first change and in 67 it moved to between the cylinders. Other may chime in a dispute this but that is my recollection.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA #12766

Comment

Thank you Tom, for your help. I didn't explain myself very well. The petcock on the left tank is on the underside, center of the tank. I have read on this forum that Harley sometimes installed the next years mods when they got close to the last builds. I thought that this might be the case. The bike seems very correct in other aspects, so I wasn't worried that someone would have modified it. I guess maybe I was wrong.

SF
      Last edited by Semper Fi; 03-24-2014, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Not a dispute, Tom!

But I have been led to believe that the '66s went to a left-side petcock later in the production year.

After all, what were they thinking!

I have encountered right-side petcock '66 tanks in both 3½ gallon and Turnpike sizes.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

No dispute here. If it was a mid production change then I'm sure those guys with 66's would like to know so they can make sure they are correct. Judges might want to know too in case of a dispute. If you are getting one judged and the issue comes up then having documentation to show them is well worth it. I had a 66 and it had the petcock on the right tank as have all the ones I have seen so far but nothing is beyond belief when it comes to HD. There were so many running changes and IMHO opinion little documentation avaliable to show them that any thing is possible. Back to the issue of 65 though I have never seen a stock 65 with anything but the fuel shut off rod set up. I have seen plenty of 65's that have a petcock set up sbut none that were stock. Without pics but based on your description it sounds like maybe they are 67 and later tanks. Who knows, it might have come with 3 1/2 tanks and the guy wanted to switch to 5 gal ones and that was what he could get although most 65's seem to have come with 5 gal tanks that I have seen as it was part of the model year changes for 65. I doubt that a 65 would come from the factory with 67 style tanks no matter what. That was just too far off. Others opinions?????

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
          AMCA #12766

Comment

I've got to let this rest for awhile. I am waiting for the bike to be shipped up here to me. I tried to download pictures from the ebay listing (331139530051), but the pics are so small that you can't see any details. If you would search ebay with the above number, I'm sure you can see what I am talking about. Otherwise, I'll post pictures when the bike arrives.

Thank you for all your efforts thus far,

SF

Comment

SF,
              Your thread caught my eye as I too am doing a 65 pan. I looked at this bike on EBAY when it as active and just re-visited it using the item # you provided. It looks to me that either the tanks are later HD tanks or they are aftermarket. It's a great looking bike and I wish you well with the process of bringing it back to the way it was born.

Comment

Thank you for the well wishes, 67. I talked to the man yesterday and those tanks are definitely not 65's. Also he related that the hinge on the back fender was welded. Picture showed the hinge, but maybe the weld is underneath? The bike is supposed to be picked up today, so I guess I'll be able to really see the other things by the end of the week. I guess one of my 65's originality is going to be compromised for the other. Then I'll ride the uncorrect one until I locate the correct parts........ if I live long enough!

SF

Comment

So what did he tell you the deal was on the tanks? They are out there to find. May ruin the whole original paint deal unless you are putting up big money but at leaast you aren't looking for parts for rarer bikes or that are much, much harder to find parts. There we plenty of 65' built by comparison to some other models.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                  AMCA #12766

Comment

He didn't know what year the tanks are. They were on the bike when he bought it. Also, it is a repaint with the correct colors from Harley. I'm looking, but haven't found a set of 65 tanks. As I said before, I have another 65 in great shape, but missing some items to make it correct. I'm hoping to end up with one correct and one rider......we'll see.

SF

Comment

Originally posted by Semper Fi View Post
                      He didn't know what year the tanks are. They were on the bike when he bought it. Also, it is a repaint with the correct colors from Harley. I'm looking, but haven't found a set of 65 tanks. As I said before, I have another 65 in great shape, but missing some items to make it correct. I'm hoping to end up with one correct and one rider......we'll see.

SF
                      Tanks for '63-65 are the same except for the larger 5-gallon size which is one year only due to the shutoff. A handshift '65 would have the 3.5 gallon tanks. To my knowledge, there was not a 5-gallon handshift tank, at least I have never seen one and do not have an order blank to access that information. Also, regarding the welded rear hinge, I had a friend who did that, inconspicously underneath, to all the bikes he built so that some yahoo down the line would not try to raise the tailpiece and pop the paint off the hinge.

'66 is one year only, in both the 3.5 and 5 gallon versions with the right-hand petcock. No hand shift tanks since from '66 on the handshift versions used the shifter that clamped to the frame downtube. I have never seen a '66 with a left hand petcock, at least not bonafide original paint examples, though they may possibley be some out there.

Good luck, Lonnie
                      Lonnie Campbell #9908
                      South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Lonnie, Jeff, or Anybody!

Can anyone provide clear photos of a genuine OEM 3.5gal civilian (non-police) panel-paint scheme for '65?

(I learned the hard way to never trust a coffee-table book....)

Many thanks in advance,

....Cotten
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-01-2014, 12:44 PM.
                        AMCA #776
                        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                        X