65 with belt drive primary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 with belt drive primary

I have a 65 FLH with a belt drive on the primary. The inspection cover that is on it now is vented. I want to put the correct passenger pegs on the bike, but this will close the vented inspection hole. Does anyone know if this will cause a problem?

Thanks,
    SF
    Member 24068
    Last edited by Semper Fi; 03-20-2014, 07:26 AM.

I have always heard that belts do not do well in such an enclosed environment where there is heat buildup, but someone with more personal knowledge would need to confirm or deny this. However, you can always use thin spacers to shim out the inspection cover. I purchased a later shovel used belt drive setup that was done in such a manner on both the derby and the inspection covers. I have also seen primary covers drilled with holes in the back side and underneath to afford ventilation, though I personally would not want to do so on your type covers because replacements are pricey. Since you in principle do not seem to mind having a ventilated inspection cover, another tact would be to drill small holes in the cover that has the "peg" for the passenger mounts.

I recently purchased a 65-69 cover that someone had modified and added a derby cover, that would be an option also but again, I would hesitate to do that to a real nice outer primary.
    Lonnie Campbell #9908
    South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Working...
    X