Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ray!

Nevermind H-D.

Any idea who made the 'trunks' shown at http://nostalgiaonwheels.blogspot.co...road-trip.html?

And when were these first offered? (attached)

Thanks in advance,

....Cotten
    Attached Files
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Hey Cotten -

So the one I mentioned that I have is the example on the top left of your attachment. I bought it original for my Father to put on his '68 FLH and he then used it on his '65. Went on a number of long tours with him when he used it. He had the smallish tour pac (which I still have as well as his '65) and as we were camping, doing extended trips he needed a bigger pack for the rack. He never liked that whole "look" of strapping trash bags on to the luggage rack :-) Neither did I. I probably have photos of him on the '68 with that trunk on it. It originally came with a cheapish black colored corrugated cardboard tray - that couldn't last and got tossed after damage from even light use. Other than that the one I have is perfect.

Long winded nostalgia run completed, I'm not positive but with some digging I might just have the original receipt. You know how that goes, finding it is another story but will have a look. I am 95% certain that it was made/sold by the same company that offered the Radio Kaddy that sold a metal, lockable kit to house a typical Motorola/Other analog wiper style automotive radio (I have that too). So the company was Racad or something like that. If I recall Radio Kaddy was the first product and it was quite succesful and where the company name came from. They added the trunks but kept the company name the same (RACAD). Dixie resold them is all, but I bought that trunk direct. Let me dig a little and see what I come up with. If I recall, the cost back in the 70's was about $150-200 with shipping. They were VERY popular and you would see them a lot until HD started making there own and ruined the third party trade on it. It's a fiberglass trunk. Not sure but I think they were only available in white when I bought it. They may have offered it in black, not sure.

I THINK the trunk may still have the stickers in it - but would have to crawl up into the loft above the garage to dig it out :-)
      Last edited by rbenash; 04-28-2014, 06:10 AM.
      Ray
      AMCA #7140

Comment

Working...
      X