1965 - 1966 Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 - 1966 Shocks

Does anyone have experience replacing the shocks on a 1965 FLH? The correct replacement, according to the HD parts book is part # 54502-65. As I'm quickly learning, many of these one or two year only parts are darn near impossible to find. At least in good serviceable condition. I've collected seven complete shock assy's, only to find one good shock in the bunch. Looking at the parts book it shows part # 54502-56A as fitting 58-64 big twins. I've seen and measured a NOS one of these and don't see anything different. Could it be used as a substitute? The part # ending in -56A tells me it must have been a k model / sporty shock originally. The factory must also have used these on the big twin beginning in 58 with the swing arm frame. Could the change in 1965 be an internal upgrade because of the 65's being heavier due to electric start? I realize the lower exterior adjusting cam ass'y is different, but looks interchangeable to me. My plan would be to run to of the -56A shocks with all of the -65 exterior components. Any thoughts...

80 pounds heavier what do you weigh?

Comment

Working...
    X