Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with 49 EL

Hello to all
    I have a 49 EL and would like to find as many pictures of another original 49 as possible. Is there anyone here with a 49? I would like a picture of the horn cover. Trying to find out how original mine is and what I many need to change/add to bring her closer to original. I put two pictures of her in the photo section
    Thanks
    bob
    ragrant@cox.net

'49 panhead did not have a horn cover--sorry but yours is wrong.you have beautiful bike but making a '49 correct can take 3 lifetimes.The front fender should not have rivets.Rough cast brake backing plate.Rough cast lower legs,no Hydra glide on fork tin,the front brake tube is smaller diameter than '50 and later,ditto for the cable,Motor tins should be Stainless not chrome,dito timer cover,you have repop tank emblems should be red letters and say Fox on backside......too much to list the odd things on '49..get Bruce Palmers new book "How To Restore 1937-1964 HD "when it comes out,or ride the wheels off that beauty
    Last edited by duffeycycles; 01-09-2014, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Duffy gave very good advice. The '49 is a tough bike to do, but what fun is life without a challenge. Get Bruce Palmer's new book, and also get a Spare Parts book and start your research. Whenever someone bores into the minutia of a restoration, they become an expert on that bike. And then you'll be telling everyone else what is correct on a '49
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

One more point about your '49,If it was a knucklehead the crowd would have shreaded it instead of saying nice bike
        The '49 is so tough to do [they all know that]and the value if all correct is not enough difference to warrant the expense of all the correct stuff in time and money..mine is a lot like yours and I love it just the way it is

Comment

Thanks guys
          I plan on riding the heck out of her
          I like her her ust the way she is. There has been a 49 front fender on ebay but at $500, it's a tough sell for me and another $1000 for correct speedometer, wow adds up quickly
          bob

Comment

Mr Duffey

Your post is right on.

I will have a correct 49 but way tOOOOOOO much invested, basically called the Stainless Bike but also many ,many mid year little changes.

Dick

in Eustis

Comment

pan03.jpg
              Sorry if this loads twice- I'm a newbie.
              This was on John Pierce's site a week or 2 ago but his site is down now.
              I have some pics from the museum- pm me if you'd like them.
              Dave

Comment

Hi Dave

RE: -------nice looking 49 you posted, a couple quick non 49 items------------------ late seat,1950 bags .

Dick in Eustis

Comment

I thought those bags were for a 49.

Comment

They are close but NOT 49 bags 48 and 49-Bags had western buckles Orange piping. If you need pictures let me know.

Dick in Eustis

Comment

Hi Dick
                      Could you forward a picture or two of the correct 49 bags?
                      I was thinking about getting a set made up this year
                      thanks
                      bob

Comment

Bob

Nice set of 48-49 bags on e-bay now

Good luck

Dick in Eustis

Comment

Working...
                        X