Battery Enlosure on 1965 FLH With Battery Enclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Enlosure on 1965 FLH With Battery Enclosure

Creating a separate thread on this as it came up in another thread I started looking for a replica or an example to make one of a 65-68 12 volt battery.

Does anyone have a factory photo, brochure, any factory print material that shows a flat or any style enclosure on a 1965 FLH with King of the Highway or other grouping. I know folks have flat and ribbed
    enclosures and there's a lot of dialog about that. But I'm looking for a factory photo or any factory literature (or copy) that shows a smooth or any battery enclosure on a '65 HD. I.E. factory photo or literature that shows a battery enclosure on a '65 FLH.

Would be handy for reference. I'd like to keep that in my '65 reference library.
    Last edited by rbenash; 10-09-2013, 06:40 AM.
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

took a look in barn there are three 65s in there and three flat sided shovels all have ribbed batt covers noticed a 65 on ebay from saugrates new york it has smooth cover never saw one without cover unless removed and discarded paul 7989

Comment

Hey Paul thanks for posting and sharing your detail.

I don't doubt and understand that some '65's ended up with "battery enclosures" which is the term for that accessory in the '66 accessory catalog and first time they show up. There's none mentioned in the '65 accessory catalog.

And 66 catalog shows a ribbed enclosure.

I have been around the '65 I restored since I was 14 or so (62 now) and it always had the ribbed enclosure. I assume the original owner simply added it to cover the battery is all because he thought it looked better.

The reference I have for Chrome Group and King of the Highway Group mention a chrome "battery cover". IMHO and experience from ALL of the factory photos, brochures, etc showing '65 with King of the Highway have a chrome top cover NEVER an enclosure.

My point is that an enclosure of any type (ribbed or flat) was Harley Dealer or after market accessory. It was never part of the factory shipped king of the highway group for '65.

If you have one on your battery it looks great and it's nice to have one. But - I'm in the camp that '65 FLH with King of The Highway or Chrome Group never had an enclosure just the "Battery Cover" which was the top cover only as shipped. In fact all the factory references and photos I have show that even that chrome cover over the regulator on a '65 is the same status. Not factory with the various groups but added as an HD dealer accessory for '65 or after when they became available.

So to me - if you are having a '65 judged with or without King of The Highway group you technically should only have the top cover. Black paint standard, Chrome plated top was delivered as part of the KoTH or Chrome group.

If you have an enclosure on of any type you should not be docked on a restoration as it would have been an accessory, so not be judged one way or the other IMHO.

So for now that would be my position unless I see a factory photo or other factory reference of a '65 FLH with King group showing a flat or other "battery enclosure".

I have a number of owner photos that have the cover, but my position is that they were dealer/after market never shipped as part of the factory Chrome or K groups only a batter "cover" is mentioned in the group info I have as well as any factory document I have.

IMHO the flat sided chrome cover - "shipped from the factory" as part of King of the Highway group is a myth. They were always an after market dealer accessory. Pretty cool, not dissing it. Just saying.

So reason for my thread is to see if there is any FACTORY evidence around for the flat enclosure on a '65. If there isn't and you have a cover of flat or ribbed - should have no affect or deduction on a restoration IMHO as it is an accessory. Flat sided would be more period correct is all, buy 1 year as '66 accessory catalog shows a ribbed battery "enclosure" and also shows the chrome "battery cover" each separate items not sold together.

That said the position I am proposing is that the correct configuration for a '65 FLH with King group is NO enclosure, I.E. - naked battery, just the chrome top and no cover on the regulator. Any of those would be an accessory and should not be judged as part of a restoration.

To me - to be sweet on my '65 restoration I would really like to run with the naked battery look and chrome cover along with naked regulator seen on all the factory references and brochures. That's why I have another thread looking for a vintage 65-68 12 volt battery :-) I'd like to use it to slice the top and install a gel or have Battery Box Guy make a replica case.

Anyway this is a topic that comes up often or fairly often when talking about '65 pan and early shovels. And trying to get to the bottom of it.
      Ray
      AMCA #7140

Comment

Working...
      X