Low Speed Wobble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Speed Wobble

My ’64 FLH has a front end wobble at low speeds. If I take a hand off the bar at 25, 30, 40, 50 mph. This is an unrestored original one owner bike. He bought “extra” tires years ago and it has one original in the front (I’ll be replacing the original tire with something new, original is in good shape not cracked or dried out but want to keep it available).
    I see in the owner’s manual that the recommended air pressure is 12 to 14 pounds!?! Can this be right? OK it must be ‘cause it says so in the manual . . . but, 14 lbs.?
    Is this common? Is there a “standard” fix. I recently got the bike so I haven’t checked the wheel bearings, tire balance or fork head bearing nut. Thought this might be something common but haven’t be able to find anything in the forms. Maybe I’m not searching correctly.
    Thx

Wheel bearings, neck bearings, swingarm bearings, loose/worn slider bushings or junk tires can all cause some kind of wobble. If I thought I wanted to ride the bike a bunch I would for sure check all the bearings and probably replace them but I would bet on the neck bearings being the culprit first.

Comment

you can try different air pressures easily if you use a modern tire they are not designed for low pressure a 64 pan has dual suspension the hard tail pan uses low pressure to soften ride you may have a bent wheel or out of balance tire some bikes are chronic keep one hand on bars bikes are not uncommon if a bike is a rider i use the harley dunlap tires on old riders or another suitable choice also balance front tire .you never know tube or inside rim rust condition once had blowout on old bike tire looked good 7 patches on tube and rusty inner rim good luck with that panhead paul g bergeron minot me 7989

Comment

I had trouble with the old style tires on mine. Switched to new Dunlops, problem gone. If it is only at low speed, thay is it, possibly the neck brarings need adjustment. By low speed, I mean about ten to thirty MPH. Mike

Comment

Thanks all, I will be installing a "modern" tire and will check suggestions, especially neck bearing

Comment

had the same issue with my 64 - wobbled from 15-35 mph. replaced the neck bearings and all was well. and to top it off, the tube had some funky repair with a fold in it. it was replaced, too.

Comment

I had a similar problem with my 68 FLH. After much grief, it turned out to be the pinch bolt on the front axle. Even though the bolts were tight it was not clamped. A roadside piece of a Bud can fixed that.

The neck bearing is set by jacking the tire off the ground and turning the bars, if it flops quickly it's too loose. If it stays when slightly askew ~10-15 degrees, it's set.

The swing arm is set similar, with the shock wheel assembly the swing arm should have a tad resistance and no side to side movement.

As you have the rebuild-able Star Hub, the bearings may be worn as well, especially being original.

Could also be the tire is no longer round with slight ply delamination.

Hope you already got your answer, sorry it's a year and a half later

Comment

I had that wobble also. Bad front tire. Changed the tire and was wobble free.

IRon

Comment

I think wobble (like other have said) can be attributed to neck bearings, or wheel bearing. Bouncing is more of a tire, and tire pressure problem.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                    I think wobble (like other have said) can be attributed to neck bearings, .
                    my 45 had the wobble. i mentioned it ounce on another forum. stillmen chimed in 2 minutes after my first post. he said something like " you did not put the self centering cone in under the bearing race we see this all the time" damn he was right on with is comment!
                    rob ronky #10507
                    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Working...
                    X