1962 FLH Handshift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 FLH Handshift

I am helping a friend get his 1962 FLH Handshift out of mothballs, off the road for 4 years. He is having me change it from 6VDC to 12VDC. The bike is not a Restoration just a very nice repaint with some different year parts, i.e. 1963 rear brake setup. I discovered that the neutral light didn't work and in trouble shooting this problem I found that there wasn't a neutral switch on the transmission top. Is the transmission top the wrong one, should it have a place for a neutral switch? Or is the 3 light dash wrong, did the Pre-1965 Handshift bikes have a 2 light dash? Thanks for Help Tim

transmission lid

Originally posted by TimR View Post
    I am helping a friend get his 1962 FLH Handshift out of mothballs, off the road for 4 years. He is having me change it from 6VDC to 12VDC. The bike is not a Restoration just a very nice repaint with some different year parts, i.e. 1963 rear brake setup. I discovered that the neutral light didn't work and in trouble shooting this problem I found that there wasn't a neutral switch on the transmission top. Is the transmission top the wrong one, should it have a place for a neutral switch? Or is the 3 light dash wrong, did the Pre-1965 Handshift bikes have a 2 light dash? Thanks for Help Tim
    The lid is the correct one ,the dash should be a 2 light.Most of the 2 light dash covers you find are the painted ones for servicars ,I have only owned one original chrome one,tough part to find.You are correct about 65 and up lids having the neutral light provision

Comment

1962 handshift bikes did not use a neutral light. All you had to do was look down at the lever to see what gear you were in. Footshift bikes had a neutral light jewel up and to the left of the oil/amp lights.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
        Footshift bikes had a neutral light jewel up and to the left of the oil/amp lights.

Jerry
        I thought that quit in '61 and went to the center in '62. BobAMCA#6738
        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
          1962 handshift bikes did not use a neutral light. All you had to do was look down at the lever to see what gear you were in. Footshift bikes had a neutral light jewel up and to the left of the oil/amp lights.

Jerry

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
          I thought that quit in '61 and went to the center in '62. BobAMCA#6738

No 61 had the rectangle gen/oil light and 62 went to the round version. 62 handshift bikes have a two light dash....I have one.

Comment

Working...
          X