Need 6V coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need 6V coil

I need to replace the 6V coil on my '55 FL. I know that Tedd Cycles has them from Taiwan. I was wondering is anyone has had luck with them or is there a better choice?. I don't currently have an original one but I do have several failed aftermarket ones.

Thanks
    Carl

nobody responds to a horse thats been beat to death! -Tedd's coils suck -I run the round Japanese style coil

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
      nobody responds to a horse thats been beat to death! -Tedd's coils suck -I run the round Japanese style coil
      I have looked at these. Is there a place other than Tedds I can get them?

Comment

There's a thread around here somewhere that Sarge posted a year or so ago it seems. If my memory serves me, he indicated that the terminals tend to be backwards. After some testing on my (latest) Tedd coil last year it appeared as though he was absolutely correct. I've got about 1800 miles on it now and it's still doing it's job. Great... now I probably just jinxed myself and it will pack it in on the next ride I take! I do carry a spare (round one) with me now cuz a coil mishap hundreds of miles from home sucks!!!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Why not obtain a used original, every one Ive tried has worked just fine for around town. If going further, just carry a spare. I believe Harbor Vintage rebuilds the originals, from what Ive read.

Comment

If you have an original coil and it is rebuildable Rat ( Harbor Vintage) does them for a round $ 80. He also sells already rebuilt ons for around $200. A buddy just got one from him for his 47 he is restoring. Unless the pins at the bottom are broken or some other damage like that they are usually rebuildable. Rat does a good job from what I have seen so far and have several guys who have goen that route.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
            AMCA # 12766

Comment

most of the nos coils were removed for no reason most will work you can even replace the wires just look in a harley manual from that era it outlines the process have restored many harley coils have better luck with nos over repops and i depend on them to go hundreds of miles paul g bergeron minot maine 7989

Comment

Does anyone know if you can access the pins in OEM coils by removing the bottom plate? They are screws threaded in from the bottom and it would be easy to make a new one for replacement if you can get to them.
                Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

No, you can't, the pins are molded into a piece of bakelite. You can make a small holesaw to clean the hole from the top by filing small teeth into a length of 5/16" tubing. Be careful to go straight in, or you'll destroy the bakelite insulator.

The service manual suggests connecting a battery across the coil for a few minutes to soften the tar before changing wires.

Comment

There is a metal insert that looks to be molded in, but the pins are threaded below the point and I believe they are screwed in from the bottom. I have a coil with a broken pin, I guess I'll take the bottom plate off to have a look.
                    Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Working...
                    X