Round swingarm straighten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round swingarm straighten

Hi. I recently made a small straightening jig. I am really enjoying the versatilaty of this little gadget. I have a much larger straightening table but its primary function is to straighten frames. The size of my frame table makes it unweildy where as this small jig is easy to move around and work with. I have made some fixtures for holding swingarms and will showcase a couple of swingarms that I straightened.
    Straighten Swingarm 001.JPG
    This swingarm had a few issues. The right side tube was bent upwards. The rear section of the right axle slide had been bent during the trauma of whatever accident it was involved in. Aside from the right tube being bent, the right axle carrier has also been bent at the end of the round tube, causing the axle slide to rise.
    The following picture shows that the front section of the axle carrier is straight to the jig, but when a rule is placed on the axle slide it shows that it runs away from the edge of the jig. Meaning that the bend is in between the hole (unknown use) and the axle slide.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Steve Little; 05-09-2013, 03:22 PM.
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

This picture shows the bend in rear of the axle carrier plate when a rule is palce on the axle slide
    Straighten Swingarm 005.JPG

The next couple of pictures show corrective measures and the end result
    Attached Files
    Steve Little
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Comment

Also checked the axle carrier for verticle alignment. No alteration needed.
      Straighten Swingarm 007.JPG
      Steve Little
      Australia.
      AMCA member 1950

Comment

Straighten Swingarm 015.JPGStraighten Swingarm 016.JPG
        I detirmined that the right side was bent due to the damage to the axle carrier.
        I leveled up the left side of the swing arm. Then checked the front and rear sections of the left axle slide with the vernia height gauge. This ensured they were the same height.
        Then, locking the vernia height gauge off, I swung it over to the right side. The pointer of the vernia shows the height of the left side.
        Attached Files
        Steve Little
        Australia.
        AMCA member 1950

Comment

I used the height gauge to check the measurement at the top of the left side tube and then pressed the right side tube to the same height.
          When the tube was adjusted to the same height, I then had to press the left axle carrier down to alingment as well.
          The end.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Steve Little; 05-13-2013, 12:11 AM.
          Steve Little
          Australia.
          AMCA member 1950

Comment

Working...
          X