No announcement yet.

Adjustable tripple tree identification.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjustable tripple tree identification.

I just bought a 53 panhead. This is my first Harley. In the reading that I have done it looks like there are two different adjustable triple trees for side car use. In the Palmer book it talks about a triple tree that is adjusted by washers. I ended up buying one but it only has one large bolt with a castle nut on the other end but does not have any washers. I am trying to figure out what I have and what I need to locate for sidecar use. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Jeff Goorman

Sounds like you have a triple tree from a servi-car that was not adjustable but was always locked in the raked position. It can be machined to be a sidecar tree.

Jerry

Comment

The adjustable trees used in the 1950 models used two bolts, the later ones used a single bolt. The washers you mention look like elongated washers with a post that extends down into a slotted hole on each side. When the bolt is loosened, the washer can be rotated 180-degrees and then put back into place into the slot. The posts helps secure it all so that the position of the bolt will not change.
      As Jerry notes, the ones used in the Servi-Cars were the same as the sidecar versions with one big difference - there is no slot, merely a hole so that there is no adjustment so there is no need for the washers.
      I bought a set of the Servi-Car trees cheap-cheap and a friend with a machine shop slotted the hole for me. I bought the washers from Old Dude. The bolt is the same. You can do the same.
      I've noticed on Ebay on more than one occasion that some folks will advertise a set of Servi-Car trees as adjustable; conveniently the photos won't have a clear shot of the bottom tree so you can't see that the hole is not slotted. Buyer beware.
      Lonnie Campbell #9908
      South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Lonnie

Would you have any pictures of the machine work. I have never need an adjustable triple tree and don't quite know how the washers work and what machine work would have to be done.

Jeff

Comment

How are the 1950 style trees construed? Simply two separate holes or what?

Comment

Originally posted by camsaure View Post
            How are the 1950 style trees construed? Simply two separate holes or what?

They have one elongated hole. The position is determined by the placement of the above said washer. The bolt goes through the washer, lower trees and the washer again.

Comment

Sorry, but I thought the earliest ones didn't have a bolt going all the way through, but rather a bolt on each side. Was I wrong on this?

Comment

Originally posted by camsaure View Post
                Sorry, but I thought the earliest ones didn't have a bolt going all the way through, but rather a bolt on each side. Was I wrong on this?

No, you're correct. I screwed up...didn't read your post properly.

Comment

Working...
                X