Duo-Glide Center Stand Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duo-Glide Center Stand Install

Finally got around to installing the center stand on my '64 Duo-Glide. It's a pretty easy install and I've documented it on my blog in case anyone is interested. I also have a copy of the original instructions from HD.

My center stand was used, so the first part shows how to get it ready for install.

Duo-Glide Center Stand Install Part 1: Prepping the Center Stand

If you have a NOS stand, you can skip to Part 2.

Duo-Glide Center Stand Install Part 2: Mounting the Center Stand to the Frame
    1964 FLH
    1972 R75/5
    1996 XL1200C
    2001 R1200C
    2007 FXSTB
    Blog: Riding Vintage
    Check out Riding Vintage on Facebook

I have installed a few of these.
    Straight forward and nothing to it.
    Trick is being man enough to get the bike up on it by yourself.
    Not the most ergonomic when compared to some other machines.

Comment

Nice post and reference Jim. I have a NOS kit I picked up years ago. Intended to install on the '65 resto. But with the enclosed chain guard decided not to do the cutouts to install the nice new guard to accomodate the HD center stand. Also had a nice vintage Bates ride off stand that I decided to restore and use instead. The NOS HD kit I have is missing one of the bolts so good to see I can get from Colony if I decide to use it. Probably going to sell my kit though or just keep it on the shelf as part of the bike. When I was a kid I did see some guys that had the stand installed using them looked like a huge PIA. Probably why the Bates ride off became so popular IMHO.

Gotta kudo Paul Friebus of American Cycle Fab for reworking and restoring that Bates as well as fitting and tuning that full enclosure chain guard. Don't want to make it sound like I did the actual work.
      Last edited by rbenash; 04-24-2013, 07:31 AM.
      Ray
      AMCA #7140

Comment

Originally posted by rbenash View Post
        Nice post and reference Jim. I have a NOS kit I picked up years ago. Intended to install on the '65 resto. But with the enclosed chain guard decided not to do the cutouts to install the nice new guard to accomodate the HD center stand. Also had a nice vintage Bates ride off stand that I decided to restore and use instead. The NOS HD kit I have is missing one of the bolts so good to see I can get from Colony if I decide to use it. Probably going to sell my kit though or just keep it on the shelf as part of the bike. When I was a kid I did see some guys that had the stand installed using them looked like a huge PIA. Probably why the Bates ride off became so popular IMHO.

Gotta kudo Paul Friebus of American Cycle Fab for reworking and restoring that Bates as well as fitting and tuning that full enclosure chain guard. Don't want to make it sound like I did the actual work.
        Would you by any chance have the instructions for the Bates stand?

Comment

I might. I know I have some Bates docs in the file. I'll take a look.
          Ray
          AMCA #7140

Comment

Yeah, I have an install sheet for "Harley 74". It's only one page with two figures and instructions. It covers 1969 and prior and 1970-1972 models
            Ray
            AMCA #7140

Comment

Ray
              I've sent you a PM.
              Thanks for looking.
              Dave.

Comment

Working...
              X