1963 FLH Saddle Bag latches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 FLH Saddle Bag latches

DSC00361.jpgTake a look at the attached pictures of my saddle bags. I believe the bags are original though they have been painted at least 2x. But the latches have been changed. Look at the front and back and give me some comments. Anyone know where to find the correct latches?
    Attached Files

I had picked up latches from Old Dude. Call them.
    http://www.olddude.com/about.htm
    Dan Margolien
    Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
    Www.yankeechapter.org
    Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

None of those parts are right, and they boogered the bags to put those on. Time to go to workin' and searchin'. Mike

Comment

The latches are obsolete but I ordered the front hinge kit from Harley about a year ago. If I remember right it had a -80 part # and comes 2 sets in a bag. Looks just like mine except the male tab on mine is angled and the new ones are straight. Don't know if they are supposed to be straight or angled. When it warms up I'll paint the bags and will need to know about the hinge then. Can bend the new ones if needed.
        Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

Be careful with the new straight ones. They are too high, and the lid will be loose. You would have to move the holes. That is why I rarely let go of any of the old hardware, because it is hard to find. Look for an old beat up set of bags that have the right hadrware. That is the way I got most of mine. And it's cheaper, too! Mike

Comment

001.jpg002.jpg005.jpg006.jpg015.jpg

Here's what all this junk looks like

Comment

020.jpg

These are the bottom clips, two per side

Comment

023.jpg

Forgot a couple. These are the hooks that are on the front of the bags, for the catch on the front of the lids

Comment

Thanks for the pictures and comments from you all. '63 bags have a rubber seal that is stapled around the lip of the bag. Anyone know where to get these.

Comment

The 63 latches are unique as well. They do not have the alignment tab in the center, like 64 and later. Are your bags the 63-64 type with the step in the back?
                    Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Didn't the 63 lids have a leather seal on the lids, that was stapled. I bought a pair several years ago from a chopper shop, and took them back, because I wanted the later ones, for my ' 65. I knew someone else could use them, and since I am not a particular fan of the Duo's, I just couldn't see hanging onto them. And I think they were thinner, also. Mike

Comment

Mike!

I think it was vinyl.
                        The indented, flat-bottomed, "hair-mat fibreglas" design continued well into 1965.

....Cotten
                        Attached Files
                        AMCA #776
                        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

They are original 1963 with the step on the back side and rubber seal around the top lip of the saddle bag which I believe is unique to only 1963. Are the pictures from 48hdbob1 correct for 1963?

Comment

The bags are original 1963 with the step on the back side and the rubber (or something like rubber) seal on the lip of the saddle bag. Are the pictures of the latches from 48hdbob1 correct for 1963?

Comment

64 also had the rough finish and the rubber seal stappled to the lid.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                              AMCA # 12766

Comment

Working...
                              X