'55 FL speedo picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '55 FL speedo picture

Does anyone have an original 1955 speedometer that has not been opened. I am getting some conflicting information regarding the color of the tenths numbers. Palmer says they are black on white background. I have seen several pictures where the numbers are red on black background. Trying to get to the truth. Thanks for the help.

So nobody has an opinion on this, I find that hard to believe. For you folks that judge these bikes, which version would you deduct points for?

Comment

Carl,

All the books and "experts" will tell you that the correct color is black on white. But I own and have seen other '55's with the numbers in red on black. The only common thing about these bikes is that they were all early production '55's. I believe that Harley had leftover speedos from '54 that they used on the early '55's. As to what serial number they changed colors is anyones guess. I talked to a couple of judges about this and they both said that they would take into consideration the serial number when judging.
      Bruce Keith
      AMCA #1467

Comment

Thanks Bruce, that does makes sense. I actually have an early number so I think I will go with the red on black. I think it is a much nicer look.

Comment

im pretty sure the red numbered tenth one is a different year. I did a lot of research on the 55 and just bought one according to the palmer book . ive seen a bunch of 55 speedos they've all been black and white like the book says .....hope im right just paid 550.00

Comment

Just like the mysterious 57. I have seen 5 times the number of black tenths to red. Maybe more.
            D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Working...
            X