65 Pan Control Lever Pivot Diameters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 Pan Control Lever Pivot Diameters

Hey Pan owners. Wondering if you can shed some light.

There seems to be a change (not sure yet) on the diameter of the brake/clutch lever pivot pins. From '65 new lever type to 66 and later shovel.

Specifically:

For 450031-65 pn I'd like to know if the 65 pivot pin was larger or smaller than subsequent (shovel) pins. I.E. - was the pivot pin on the '65 lever larger or smaller than 66 and later shovel?

Reason I ask is that I have a 456002-65A kit which tells me that it would be a post 65 kit since it is 65A. It actually has bushings in the kit that look to be to reduce the hole size of the lever pivot pin hole to accommodate a smaller diameter pin. Those bushes are not shown in the original 58-65 HD parts manual so I kind of want to assume that smaller pin came later and correct for 65 could be a larger diameter pin. ???

Wondering if the 456002-65 vs 65A had a larger vs smaller pivot pin.

Anyway looking to shed some light on what would be correct size on the pivot pin and holes in the one year only 65 standoffs (no mirror hole) to 66 and later.

Looking like this could be another little nit AFA early vs later production '65 FLH
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

Ray. Got any extra ' 65 lever mounts for the FLH model? Mike

Comment

Originally posted by portagepan View Post
      Ray. Got any extra ' 65 lever mounts for the FLH model? Mike
      I only wish - they would be on my resto

Previous owner drilled out the originals to change to lever mount mirrors He did some stupid things to the '65 trying to "update" it to make it look like a shovelhead for some reason. Wanted to look like my Dad's '68. Go figure. I was able to undo 100% of what he did during the resto with NOS parts, but original '65 lever posts (undrilled) still remain elusive. Luckily he drilled pretty much centered on that round single mark where the aluminum was injected. Paul Friebus from American Cycle Fab did a really nice jop inserting a custom aluminum plug that makes them look factory. The post '65 that were cast with the mirror hole have the double markings where they are injected and would stand out as '66 or later but would still look nice though IMHO.
      Ray
      AMCA #7140

Comment

Yes, I thought about that with mine. I will have to check for the markings. MIke

Comment

Working...
        X