Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New pistons when using new connecting rods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pistons when using new connecting rods?

Hi guys, i'm new to the AMCA, living in Mexico. I have a 62 FL I am trying to restore here. Just got back from Canada with a lot of parts for the bike and when I opened the motor, I noticed a connecting rod is cracked and need a new set. Im hoping I can just order from an internet company like J&P CYCLE and they will send to Mexico. But my question is, with new rods should I also get new pistons? and should I get stock or .020 over?

I've found the generic replacement rods to be inferior to original Harley rods. Every set I've seen taken from a motor is streched out of round at the lower end. Also, the replacements are probably slightly longer than the early Knuckle/Pan/shovel XA-75 and XA-76 rods which will increase your compression slightly.
    S & S rods are unnecessarily heavy for a stock motor and will cause excessive vibration no matter how the motor is balanced.

As for pistons, the cylinders must be miked up and resized as necessary before you can determine which pistons to order. They must then be finish hon
    ed to match the new pistons. This job should be left up to an experienced machinist, preferably one familar with older Harleys. Oversize pistons are available in increments of .010", so waste no metal before its time.

Comment

thank knucklehead, i think i spoke to soon. i just got the cylinders measured after being honed at 3.467 ( stock is 3.437 ) so at this point would it be better to stay at .030 or go to .040? one of my other problems is getting HD rods here. if i order from JP Cycle they ship international, but they dont carry the HD and i'm sure i wont be getting any dealer to send them down.

Comment

Unfortunately, pistons vary in size, even when from the same source. If you get .030 OS pistons, they may or may not work. If they're tight, no problem; just hone the cylinders to size. If they're loose, you have to decide if it's acceptable or you want to go to the next OS.

As for the rods, I guess it's your call. Maybe someone else on the forum is more familiar with shipping out of the country.

Comment

understood, i think i will go up to .040 and then have them hone to the piston to get the best fit. would rather do that than take the risk of getting pistons sent here and having them on the loose side. thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
          X