Quick Start 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Start 2000

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Quick Start 2000 electronic ignition. It is advertised on page 21 of the latest AMCA magazine. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thank You.

Originally posted by snyder3244 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has tried the Quick Start 2000 electronic ignition. It is advertised on page 21 of the latest AMCA magazine. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thank You.
    Snyder!

I am sure it is a very fine product, even though I have no experience with it.

But I am curious as to why you might think you need it?

.....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-09-2012, 07:50 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I have a 54 panhead and was thinking it would make it easier to start and it does away with the points.

Comment

Snyder!

There have been one-kick Pans with points around for generations.

Do you feel your timer is the issue?

....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

That's possible. I have only had the bike for about a month and I'm still learning about it.

Comment

Snyder!

We assume you have the Service Manual, and have the ignition timing in order, so I must ask: Has it by any chance been converted to "solids" with aluminum valve pushrods?
            (They require to be set quite tightly...)

But by far the most common cause for difficult starting is a vacuum leak.

Does your machine still have the original "plumber's" nuts, or perhaps O-ring conversion nipples?

The tiniest leak is still an issue, so I encourage you to do a simple test,
            that only requires an aircompressor, with a regulator to shut it down to 12-15psi, some soapy water, and a #9 rubber stopper: http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

Good luck!

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

Snyder,

Cotten has pointed you in the right directions regarding your Pan. My bike had been converted to solids, had an O-ring intake that leaked and a multitude of other issues. I converted back to the plumber type manifold, adjusted the pushrods accordingly, got the timing/points set properly and with the timer fully retarded (I just learned that!!!) it's a first kick bike every time. Best of luck with yours whichever way you choose.
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

The motor was rebuilt before I bought it so I don't know about the "solids" with aluminum valve push rods. The intake and carb are original. I will try to check for a vacuum leak. This is all great advice! Thank you both.

Comment

It's a super quick procedure to check out what you have for pushrods. I would check the adjustment on them just for peace of mind. The intake can be finnicky but a proper seal is a must for longevity. Ask all the questions you need to. The answers will surely appear.
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                  X