Starter Crank Spring, Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Crank Spring, Question

After a few years of waiting, I was gassed up, fresh oil, fully charged battery, and ready to start my 51 Pan. Three prime kicks, ignition switch on, and kicked through, it tried to fire. The next kick the starter crank spring broke. (should have known something like that would happen) My question is. Can I replace the spring with the starter cover in place, or will I have to remove it?

If it has the original one piece arm you must remove the kicker cover to replace the spring. If it has a two piece you can do it from the outside!
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I was able to install a new return spring on the one-piece kicker arm without issue. Remove the pedal, work the new spring down over the arm, and finagle the spring stay tab into the slot in the arm. Then hook the other end on the stud in the cover. No problem at all...!

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Spring and cover are off the bike. Looks like I will be repalcing the starter crank bushings while its off the bike. You can see with the naked eye that the bushings are out of round. Has anyone had any expeirence with the "COLONY" bushing kit, and removal/install tool?
        Last edited by cmcadam; 04-22-2012, 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Don't forget the rubber seal between the two bushings. Is the kicker shaft still round?...Mike

Comment

Working...
          X