Neck bearing races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck bearing races

I installed a set of after-market bearings and races on a '56 Pan that i'm building, the bolt hole distance between the upper and lower trees for the upper tins are about 3/16" too wide, could anyone tell me the length between the top and bottom bearing when installed, any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks Whitey

Whitey, Did you replace the neck cups with after-market cups or did you install new bearing races in your original neck cups. If you replaced the neck cups with after-market ones measure old ones and new ones and compare. Perhaps the new after-market ones were machined to sit slightly taller out of the neck. If each after-market one is 3/32" taller you would gain 3/16" between bolt holes.

Comment

Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks for the info. I installed new timken bearings and cups, apparently according to Chris's pics., I have later model cups, I didn't have the old cups, the frame was pretty hacked up, the original neck was cut and had about 5 lbs. plate welded on and stretched out over 20 degrees, I guess now the only option I have is to knock out and replace the cups unless someone might have a quicker fix. Thanks Whitey

Comment

Sorry, there's no 'quick fix' other than to replace your bearing cups with the early cups.
          And if you have them, it's actually a pretty quick fix...

Comment

if you can't find any 49-59 cups, call mark Blankenship(304) 697-1445 after 3pm eastern time. He is re-producing them...

Comment

001.jpgThanks for the help, I probably will have to make the call,it seems that no one repops the early cups, but I have a question on the length of the neck, does anyone know the exsact length, I'm posting a pic. so you can see where I'm coming from Thanks Whitey

Comment

Working...
              X