Wow II - Fishtails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow II - Fishtails

I remember paying $20 for my first NOS fishtail from White's HD in Lebanon PA, probably around 2002. Got it through Hannums in Media. By just giving the part person a list of stuff to check dealer stock to see if they had anything I wanted.

Then got another pair of NOS that I used on my '65 restoration for $400 a year later at the Chesapeake meet.

All 3 of mine were extra quiet versions (-62A)

Prices on these have increasingly gone to insane. But you don't really see too many new ones any more. Figure the judges can still look for the numbers so it's one part that needs to be right or just live with a point bump on a restoration.

But this one seems insane to me. Someone really needed it.

Getting harder and harder, else it's just an Ebay thing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...vip=true&rt=nc

It will be interesting to see what the next NOS -62A goes for.
    Last edited by rbenash; 02-29-2012, 09:07 AM.
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

Do the original fishtails for a 1965 FLH have the number stampes into them? Mike

Comment

Yes they do. Fish tails themselves weren't really new for '65. Maybe the extra quiets were, not sure. I'd have to check as I'm not 100% certain when extra quiet became an option off hand. But either way the numbers were stamped on them.
      Ray
      AMCA #7140

Comment

The 65242-62 super quiet started in 1962. The 65240-61 standard fishtail started in mid 1961 with the crossover dual exhaust.

Comment

mufflers

AMF era mufflers are stamped with numbers original factory installed mufflers prior to 1970 had no numbers

Comment

Gigolo
            That is what I thought, too. Hard to get accurate info on bikes newer than about '55 on this forum. Mike

Comment

Gigolo - thanks for the detail.
              Ray
              AMCA #7140

Comment

Working...
              X