• Show
Clear All

• Wow

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260961347905...84.m1423.l2649

And the auction isn't over yet.

I will be VERY careful as I get gas....
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

Wow is right! I'd like to get my hands on a set of those but not those particular ones! Prices have been really strong on e-bay lately.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

For example; say you're a millionaire and money is no object. You buy these caps and put them on your perfect, all genuine '47 Knucklehead that has many NOS perfect items on it. I would assume you would brag about the NOS speedo first, or the NOS shock absorber, or the untouched Linkert carb. . . . By the time you get to the NOS gas caps, the joker your're trying to impress is asleep. . . . Just buy the V-Twin caps.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

I hear ya Eric. Do guys really stand around and brag about all their NOS stuff....??? I'm still hoping to trip across a couple caps at the bottom of a swapmeet tub...
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

I used to find those Eaton caps at car meets. 50 cents to a dollar was normal. I think car guy liked them because they were chrome.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

I've heard tons of stories about car meet finds. I'm gonna have to see what the fuss is all about one of these days....
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Hi Guys,
              There's no doubt the box is genuine. The gas caps on the otherhand just don't look right. The knurl looks too wide, rivets bigger than normal and the rounded parts on each end of the hold-down blade don't go far enough towards the centre. Sez he bought them in Davenport.Maybe so.But from who ? Olddude !
              This morning a real one sold for $ 565.

JMHO John

Comment

Just went for $637.77. Since AMCA judging is strictly "hands off," a judge will never see that Eaton trademark on the bottom of that cap. As long as it looks good from the outside, as the $25 repops do, it's all in the mind of the owner.
                Last edited by Sargehere; 02-27-2012, 12:12 PM.
                Gerry Lyons #607
                http://www.37ul.com/
                http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Hmm - how much of the $637.50 was for the box?
                  Ray
                  AMCA #7140

Comment

Originally posted by Sargehere View Post
                    Just went for $637.50. Since AMCA judging is strictly "hands off," a judge will never see that Eaton trademark on the bottom of that cap. As long as it looks good from the outside, as the $25 repops do, it's all in the mind of the owner.
                    I guess that comparison is a sad commentary on the value of AMCA judging.

Dave Bustamante #5189

Comment

Originally posted by Sargehere View Post
                      Just went for $637.50. Since AMCA judging is strictly "hands off," a judge will never see that Eaton trademark on the bottom of that cap. As long as it looks good from the outside, as the $25 repops do, it's all in the mind of the owner.
                      why can't the judge ask the owner to remove the cap? cory stay away from car meets. they got nothing for you. i would put that little yellow face guy with the wink here but i can't find him.
                      rob ronky #10507
                      www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Is it only me or do these caps strike anyone else as less than authentic? The inside looks zink plated, I have never seen a Harley box that stated the item inside, they usually say genuine/logo/parts and accessories. I know they are making repops now with the eaton mark inside. Or maybe I am just a skeptic.

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
                          why can't the judge ask the owner to remove the cap? cory stay away from car meets. they got nothing for you. i would put that little yellow face guy with the wink here but i can't find him.
                          This guy??
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by BNSONS View Post
                            I guess that comparison is a sad commentary on the value of AMCA judging.

Dave Bustamante #5189
                            I think it's a commentary on the dilution of "antique motorcycles" by the rise of REPOPS! Anything, but anything, may be repops these days, I saw that $9,800.00 "8-Valve Harley top end" the other day. The one that pretty much started the complete re-writing of judging rules a couple of years ago, which in turn led to all the internal conflict in the club over judging matching-numbers, bogus numbers and all that. Bolt that to an ordinary F or J bottom end, does that make the bike something that it never was?

It's a new age, but judges can't touch a bike. All stands on what on the bike can be seen. It's not for the owners to stand by and take their bikes apart on the field for inspection. Hell, the horns don't even have to work, as long as the motor is seen to start when it gets there!
                            Last edited by Sargehere; 02-27-2012, 11:59 AM. Reason: "$" not "#"
                            Gerry Lyons #607
                            http://www.37ul.com/
                            http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

I can only laff at the folly of it....good for who ever got them, they gave themselves a brain orgasm.

Comment

Working...
                              X