Star Hub question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Hub question...

Hello all, I am rebuilding my hubs, and wanted to clear a few things before I move forward.. I was wondering why is the top part of the hub is copper plated (?), and what is the reason for the groove at the very top? Also, does this part (the copper plated piece and the one below it) get painted? Minus the edge on top? Any input would be appreciated :-)hub.jpg

That goes inside the brake drum. The groove is for the lock ring that holds the cork washer and retainer ring. I think the whole thing gets painted. At least the ones I have and have seen. Mike

Comment

I think he means the groove on the outside???
      The copper plating is more than likely a heat treat mask from when the part was carburized to harden the race. A strike coat of copper is often used as on thin parts that are getting case hardened so that only the areas that need to get the case are affected. It keeps that thin section from getting hard, and more brittle, all the way through.
      Mark Masa
      Mark Masa
      www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Hi Mark, yes. I meant the outside groove. Thanks for the clarification about the copper plating. Would you know the answer to my paint question?
        Thanks, Ron

Comment

If you've never rebuilt a wheel hub before, and would like a little guideline for rebuilding the hub, this may be of interest to you.......

http://www.caimag.com/wordpress/2009...ble-wheel-hub/

Comment

Working...
          X