Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1950 FL whats real OEM and whats after market ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 FL whats real OEM and whats after market ?

First time member here so first thing is thanks to AMCA for this club and this web site. I purshased my 50 FL one year ago and I'm getting conflicting tales on whats OEM and after market on my bike. 1st ? The tank emblems should they be stamped Fox co. on the back and be made of brass ? Also the letters Harley Davidson be black or red ? 2nd Did all 1950 FL's have sergeant strips on the rear fender and how do you know if the r OEM ? 3rd; Did Harley stamp part # on tanks, fenders, front end or the frame to check them ? I know that Harley placed the year of the bike in the part # on the engine parts and trans they all match up for me, just concerned about the rest of my bike. Any info on my 50 pan would be appreciated guys. Thanks again, from the new guy on the block.

You need to get a copy of this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Restore-Harley...8204082&sr=8-1

All the answers are in there.
    A. Bernhardt
    AMCA# 9726

Comment

thanks Alex

Comment

The speed ball badges should have Fox Mfg on them. Don’t dismiss them if you don’t see it at first. I had to use a magnifying glass on mine. If there the real deal it will be there. There painted fire engine red. As far as I know, there tin. I’ve never seen a set striped. As the previous post stated, get your hands on a copy of Bruce Palmer’s bible and be forever happier. Bob L
        AMCA #3149
        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

1st ? The tank emblems should they be stamped Fox co. on the back and be made of brass ? Also the letters Harley Davidson be black or red ?
          They are stamped brass and then chrome plated, all lettering and ball are red.
          2nd Did all 1950 FL's have sergeant strips on the rear fender and how do you know if the r OEM
          Yes they did, and originals are color coded on the inside as to position, each one is different depending on placement and side. They tend to look smoother and nicer detailed than the repops.
          Did Harley stamp part # on tanks, fenders, front end or the frame to check them ?
          No, they never stamped any of those items. Starting in '52 framed had a date code but previous to that only cast in date codes or casting numbers help to identify the year. And the date codes on the engine cases are inside! Casting numbers usually are the first year a part was used but can be from one year previous to when they are released, as in -48 casting numbers on '49 Hydra-Glide forks. The numbers generally ran for many years, sometimes remaining the same even when a part changed slightly.
          As has been said, Palmer's guide is the best info out there along with actual factory photos or original paint untouched bikes.
          Robbie
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks again guys for the great info, just ordered the book. I posted pics of my pan on my profile u can see. Hope to see u guys in Daytona in March. Have alot to learn about vintage motorcycles, but thats part of the fun and adventure. This new hobby is very addicting.

Comment

all red at the tank badges?

to Rubone,
              can't believe your statement in case of the tank badges "...all red"! I think the
              Harley Davidson lettering is painted "black" - only the speedball area is red.
              George AMCA 2781

Comment

to Rubone,
                can't believe your statement in case of the tank badges "...all red"! I think the
                Harley Davidson lettering is painted "black" - only the speedball area is red.
                George AMCA 2781
                George,
                All original factory badges are ALL red lettering. Black appeared when the aftermarket started producing them. It makes no difference to me if you believe what I said, but it is obvious you need to research it a little more!
                Robbie
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Orignal paint 48s at Oley., Sorry couldn't find any 49 or 50. Bob L
                  Attached Files
                  AMCA #3149
                  http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

tank emblem color

Hi Rub,
                    o.k. - now i know it - i was wrong - sorry - George

Comment

Then you have bikes like mine... I've got one with red lettering and one with black!!! I'm going to have to do something about that one of these days. Those are some good detail shots Bob.
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Top is correct all red original.
                        Middle is re-pop incorrectly position Harley red and black re-pop.
                        Bottom is re-pop with Harley in correct position.
                        Last edited by Chris Haynes; 02-24-2012, 12:23 AM.
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                        X