Saddlebag rivet method?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddlebag rivet method?

How are you guys forming new rivets inside the bags, such as the bottom clips and the latches? Thanks!
    Dan Margolien
    Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
    Www.yankeechapter.org
    Pocketvalve@gmail.com

On later model fiberglass bags? (square, Panhead and Shovelhead style?)
    I made a tool in the lathe that forms the heads over with very little effort.

My friend at the local chopper shop in town has a tool the forms them, looks like a huge set of pliers, sort of, but only works on tourpac lids and upper saddlebag lids that it will fit over. Inside saddlebag brackets, on the bottom of the bags, are hard. It helps to have an extra set of hands to hold them while riviting.

Comment

The replacements for the bottom clips on the fiberglass bags that HD sells are just pop rivets. That is what I use. They work fine. All of the rest of the 1/8" diameter rivets I use a hand rivet squeezer, and dies. I takes a deep throat to do the emblems on the bubble bags. They are 1/16" rivets, semi tubular. Buying a squeezer is rather expensive, unless you are a nut like me, I have two. Some HD shops will loan you theirs, with a deposit. Some good hardware stoers have rivets, otherwise, I use Hanson. Mike

Comment

thx for the tips, especially the rivet source and description.

Dan
        Dan Margolien
        Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
        Www.yankeechapter.org
        Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Just use regular steel, zinc finish. I tried the stainless. They are hard as a rock! Got a bi=unch of them with no use. Oh well.........I learned, to save somebody else the trouble. The rivets are oval head, and don't forget the washers on the inside. Harley does sell the rivets. At a ridiculous price! Mike

Comment

Dan,

I have a c-clamp like tool with a forming tip that rolls back the hollow rivets nicely. Even the tough stainless ones. It's more controllable than hammering and you can get just the right compression on the rivet.

The clips on the bottom of the bag will require a long drift/hammer technique, but you can use the die from the c-clamp device on the outside with success if you have a good helper. I'll loan the c-clamp tool to you if you promise to mail it back. I might even have some extra rivets laying around. Send me a PM if you're interested, or email me at robertfarr68@hotmail.com

Bob

Comment

Working...
            X