part ID,years of use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• part ID,years of use?

I have had these bubble bag guards for a while, but I don't know what years they were used. I would think they are original option equipment, for the Harley's, of course. I am thinking 60's, but I don't know. Thanks!
    Mike
    Attached Files

Why the heck did a post from yesterday jump over mine from today? Mike

Comment

Mike, I have a set that I have on my 62'fl. They were made by custom chrome in Cleveland,oh. (not the same custom chrome). As far as I know the were available in the late 50's thru 63'. Custom chrome offered several a/m items for harley's. Chris Haynes would know for sure. Scott

Comment

Thanks Scott! What about the two rail, with the V? Were these all made in Ohio? Were they sold/used by Harley, as an option? And what kind of bolts did they use to clamp on the mounts?
        Mike
        Attached Files

Comment

Mike, have not seen that style. I have a rear bumper that bolts to the rear of my bubble bags that is the same style with the v. The old guys tell me it was also made my custom chrome, so yours most likely is also. Can not tell how they bolt up. My front, rear fender bumpers and buddy seat rail are also the same. These came on my bike when it was new. I purchased from the original owners son and I have pictures from him. How close are you to wauseon ? Will be there this summer. Thanks,Scott

Comment

early bag rails

the v rails were secured with a 1/4-20 x 1/2" bolt acting as a set screw in one of the flats on the large hex nut also the roll pins have to be removed from your mounting brackets to install. I see you also have the single tube version of these rails, I have two other versions of these rails.If I can figure out how to post pics I will.

Comment

Yes gigolo, the guards are threaded for bolts to mount them. I just wondered if there was a specific style bolt they used, like a chrome squarehead, or something. Sometimes, I just go to a truck stop to get the chrome hdwre. I think the single rails are sold. Yes, I will be at Wauseon. I have a set of bubbles for sale, with mounts, guards etc. new chtome, orig nuts, bolts, with the guards, on the CAI forum. Mike

Comment

What are a set rails like in the first post worth in perfect condition?

Rod

Comment

I would like to know, also. I just don't see them anywhere, just like good oem hydraulic brake drums in the two styles, from '58 to 68. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by portagepan View Post
                    I would like to know, also. I just don't see them anywhere, just like good oem hydraulic brake drums in the two styles, from '58 to 68. Mike
                    I have got one of those too....58A I think 60-62.

Comment

Palmer says the 58A for 60-62 has the 3/16" sprocket rivts, raised letters/numbers, and a depth of 1 7/8", and the reduced width side plate spacer. Is that the one you have? Mike

Comment

Yes Mike that is the one, I bought it for my 62FL and never used it. I called a friend this morning to ask what he thought it was worth and he
                        bought it.....Rod

Comment

That dirty dog! Heh heh Mike

Comment

I have the V rails on my '62, far as I know they came w/the bike which was a shriner bike,,thanks Warren

Comment

I have a set of those bag guards on my 58. I purchased them a couple years ago fo 200-250 and they are in excellent cond with no scratches. I do need the rear cross bar if anyone has one. I have 2 small brackets on the rear of the guards that I believe the cross bar mounts to. They seem to twist 90 degrees to allow mounting of the bar or may be light mounts.
                              D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Working...
                              X