Deraked Glide Trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deraked Glide Trees

Recently an old freind of mine ordered a set of repop '49-'59 trees from Ted's. He shaved them (like we did 40 years ago) for a chopper project. When he started to assemble the front end he noticed that the bottom tree had a deraked stem. I couldn't send them back because they were altered. I reordered just the bottom tree and checked it myself and darned if it isn't deraked also. I pulled out an OEM front end (early '50's) and the stem on it is straight. Then I pulled out a stock '60-'68 style lower tree and it's also deraked. The only thing that I can figure is that the factory deraked the '65 and later to clear the 5 gal. tanks. Does anyone out there know ?????????
    P.S. I'm not talking about the Servicar or adjustable trees.

They started doing that sometime in 58 with the new swing arm frame.

Comment

What do you mean by deraked? 49-57 are not raked. Starting with the swing arm in 58 they were raked. You can tell by the weld on the bottom of the lower triple tree. The 57 and down will be a round weld where the 58 and up will be and oval weld. I can't say for certain that they didn't use the earlier on the 58 until they knew they had a problem. Maybe someone here knows more. Why would you go and order Tedd's crap when there are dozens of these oem on Fleese-Bay for a nickel on the dollar? Bob L
      AMCA #3149
      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

'49-'57 ted's replica are deraked. We found out the hard way. He didn't want to cut up a good OEM tree. Also, all old chopper items on ebay are out of site, pricewise. My Bates solo seat and pad (that I traded for an old rusty star hub wheel & tire 38 years ago) is a $600.00 to $800.00 item. Thanks for the info !!!!

Comment

Shaved triple tree go for $30 to $60 clams on Fleese-Bay. Who wants them? I still can't understand the deraked thing but good luck on your prodect. Bob L
          AMCA #3149
          http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Working...
          X