Speedball badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedball badges

I've been running the repo speedeball badges, as my originals need work, but I'm sick of looking at those repos. My originals need new tabs, a bit of straightening, and of course new chrome. Can anyone recomend someone that has done 'em and knows what they're doing?
    Thanks, Doug.
    Doug McLaughlin #6607
    NorCal, USA

Call David at Jackson Jewlery Repair in San Antonio, TX. He does a high class job. He also does a wonderful job on the 1954 front fender emblems. 210 520-1885
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks Chris,
      It seems you've got good friends everywhere. I called and talked to David, a nice guy, I was glad to find he is also an old bike nut. Sounds like he knows his stuff, and I'm going to be sending my badges off to him.
      Doug.
      Doug McLaughlin #6607
      NorCal, USA

Comment

Originally posted by D.Mac View Post
        I'm going to be sending my badges off to him.
        Doug.
        You won't regret it.
        Be sure to visit;

Comment

Got my badges back from David Jackson, they look brand new. He's into old bikes himself, so he understands what they need to look like, including preserving the Fox lettering on the back. Straightened, soldered the tabs back on, and rechromed. Chris was right, I don't sure don't regret sending them to David, they're outstanding.
          Doug.
          Doug McLaughlin #6607
          NorCal, USA

Comment

Do you have any before, and after pictures?
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Yes, I have a set too that needs to go out to him and would like to see some pictures if you can
              AMCA 26656

47EL
              47WL

Comment

Restored badges

Well, I didn't think about before pictures. The right side badge had several thumbprint sized shallow dents in the lettering, and the mounting tabs were gone. The chrome was in poor condition. The left side badge had all those problems and the speedball itself had been crunched from the bike falling over or hitting something, and a P.O. had tried to fix it . These badges were in the box of loose parts that came with my bike when I originally bought it, needless to say I never ran them as the tabs were gone. I didn't mind the repop badges that much at first, I painted the letters red, and hit the road- good enough for a rider I thought. As time has gone by, and I've parked next to bikes with OEM badges, the repops really started bugging me and I knew they had to go.
                David removed the dents, adding some silver solder to the worst part of the left speedball, silver soldered on new tabs, fitted the padges to the tank profile, removed the old chrome and polished the badges, then sent them to his plater. He would have painted them also, but I said I would do it. Hard to get good photos of chrome items, and I'm not the best photog, but they do look great, I'm very pleased with 'em.
                Attached Files
                Doug McLaughlin #6607
                NorCal, USA

Comment

Obviously Chris sent you to the right guy. David Jackson did a beautiful job. Kind of curious about the price but I won't press you for it.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Wow! Those badges turned out great!!! It's funny Doug, I can relate to things having to be "right". I ended up with one original and one re-pop badge on my pan. I'm still wondering how that happened..... anyway it irks me even though most folks I run into in the course of a summer would never know the difference. I'm thinking us antique freaks can be a fussy bunch!!!
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

David is a craftsman who made all the necessary tools to restore badges and 50th anniversary fender emblems. He charges $45.00 an hour and for the work he does I think that is fair.
                      Be sure to visit;

Comment

Does he do the 1940 - 1946 emblems also?
                        Lonnie Campbell #9908
                        South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

[QUOTE=c.o. I can relate to things having to be "right"....... even though most folks I run into in the course of a summer would never know the difference. I'm thinking us antique freaks can be a fussy bunch!!! [/QUOTE]

Yeah Cory,
                          I think we have to lay part of the blame on this forum! Along with the re-pop badges, there were some other re-pop parts I thought would be "good enough for a rider", but the education I've recieved here has made me realise that poor quality parts just don't cut it. Also, although I've never had a bike judged and probably never will, I think the AMCA judging raises all of our standards as far as build quality and "correctness". Thanks to all who pass thier knowlege along.
                          Doug.
                          Doug McLaughlin #6607
                          NorCal, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                            David is a craftsman who made all the necessary tools to restore badges and 50th anniversary fender emblems. He charges $45.00 an hour and for the work he does I think that is fair.
                            I'm a guy that likes to do things myself, but some jobs are best sent to an expert. I guess I could have eventually repaired those badges myself, but they never would have looked like they do. As I said, my pictures aren't that good, but there are no ripples, no buffed off or rounded corners, and not so much as a pinhole in the chrome. Nice finishing touch, well worth it.
                            Doug.
                            Doug McLaughlin #6607
                            NorCal, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Lonnie View Post
                              Does he do the 1940 - 1946 emblems also?
                              Yes he can do any stamped H-D tank or fender badges. He started doing this to restore his own fender badge for one of his 1954's. He made special tooling to work out the dents and restore the emblem. David is a true craftsman. Ask Willie G. to show you the ring David made for him. (210) 373-6391
                              Last edited by Chris Haynes; 01-05-2012, 12:47 PM.
                              Be sure to visit;

Comment

Working...
                              X