Ridgid Panhead Y Pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Panhead Y Pipes

We've discussed Pan exausts several times, but I want to talk specifically about Y pipes for ridgid bikes. I've had occasion to pull and re-install my pipes several times again lately. It had a swing-arm Y when I bought it, it fits and works, but the muffler is at an odd angle and looks funny as it is not level with the tool box bottom. I picked up a Corso "Replica", but it fits even worse ( it bends up behind the Y but not back down, the muffler wants to hit the tool box). The stock part bends up just behind the Y and then bends back down at the outlet allowing the muffler to be level. I've looked at a lot of bikes, and seen very few that have the part that looks correct, but if you look at the factory pictures in Palmers you can see the two bends clearly. Anyway, I can't be the only one that has run into this problem, does someone make a better part? I'm thinking of trying to modify the one I've got, I may wreck it, but it doesn't fit anyway.
    Doug.
    Doug McLaughlin #6607
    NorCal, USA

Doug, This why the originals on Fleese-Bay go for $300 clams. I'm convinced that the originals were pressed in a die to achieve that two bend. The guys doing the repops on the other hand, are using a standard tubing bender that uses shoes. Unfortunately you can't pull off both bends that close using shoes. There just not enough room. Bob L
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
      I'm convinced that the originals were pressed in a die to achieve that two bend. The guys doing the repops on the other hand, are using a standard tubing bender that uses shoes. Unfortunately you can't pull off both bends that close using shoes. There just not enough room. Bob L
      Bob, I think you're absolutely right. But, before I shell out $300.00, I think I try some home-wizardry.
      Doug.
      Doug McLaughlin #6607
      NorCal, USA

Comment

From what I've seen, Bob is right, the repops just will not fit properly. Get out the die grinder or Dremel with a cutoff wheel, pull out the TIG or MIG welder and do the "slice and dice" thing on the repop, which is what it takes to make it fit properly. Oh, and don't forget the heartburn medication.
        Lonnie Campbell #9908
        South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Had a feeling that might be the only way to make it fit right.
          Thanks, Doug.
          Doug McLaughlin #6607
          NorCal, USA

Comment

At the "Y"

OK, here's what I did. I live close to a scrap yard and I went and found several heavy springs that would fit inside the pipe. I heated the pipe and bent it with a spring inside, worked pretty well, except I used the spring that was not as tightly wound as it fit more snugly in the pipe. The gaps in the wind of the spring alowed the pipe to deform some on the bottom and it took some hammer work (hot with the spring still inside) to shape it up, using a tightly wound spring would work better I'm sure. It finnshed out pretty nice except for a couple small ripples on the back that I'm not gonna sweat, I hope it will fit as I did not have an original to work from, but WTH, it didn't fit before so no loss. Hope I can get the pics loaded- here goes.
            Doug.
            Attached Files
            Doug McLaughlin #6607
            NorCal, USA

Comment

The other pics!

They didn't want to upload all at once.
              Doug.
              Attached Files
              Doug McLaughlin #6607
              NorCal, USA

Comment

Before and after

Before- useless, After? we'll see, I won't be installing it right away- I just wanna ride.
                Doug.
                Attached Files
                Doug McLaughlin #6607
                NorCal, USA

Comment

Nice job...looks good.

Comment

ok now that your done I need you to make me one
                    Moose
                    aka Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
                      ok now that your done I need you to make me one
                      Ditto on that...I was just to polite to ask.

Comment

Nice work. Enjoyed checking out the photos of your effort. Very nice.
                        Ray
                        AMCA #7140

Comment

Y-pipe

Okay, Almost a year later, I just realised I never posted an after shot of it on the bike. I didn't put it on untill this winter's tear-down. I think the bend is somewhere in the ballpark, any comments? As mentioned I didn't have an original to work from, only photos. As you can see, if it ain't perfect it probably won't keep me from getting that junior first!
                          Doug.
                          Attached Files
                          Doug McLaughlin #6607
                          NorCal, USA

Comment

Good job boy!
                            AMCA #3149
                            http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

What Bob said!!!
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953