confused muffler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confused muffler

I have a 1950 pan mostly all original and want to use an original muffler for a single system.

I've been told they have a 51b stamp on them and I've been told they have nothing on them. So therein is my delema which is the right one the model I have uses a chrome muffler.

now to find the correct y pipe I've given them away over the years now I need one and have no more left

thanks for clearing this up
    Moose
    aka Glenn

Moose,
    the number for your muffler is 1034-50, or new number 62536-50. The -51B muffler was a later replacement muffler, not even used until the '60s. Why it was numbered -51 is anyone's guess. Likely because it was intended as a retro-fit item. The -51 does not appear in any parts books as a number, it is merely stamped on the muffler itself.
    By the mid '60s all mention of the -50 muffler disappears from the parts books. But then in the early '70s a new muffler with a -41A part number appears. I have an NOS one. The packaging is -41A, the muffler inside is 51B.
    The major difference in the -50 muffler is that the outlet tube is longer than the -58 (or the 51B). And your 50 muffler does not have the stamping on it like a 51B, it is plain. I believe Dennis Corso makes them and will make one with custom length outlet if needed.
    As far as originals, good luck. I'm planning on using my 51B on my '54 FLE because i have it and I don't have my stuff judged. They are all rides,
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Rub

that clears up i do have a non stamped original chrome that has to be re chromed
      Moose
      aka Glenn

Comment

Working...
      X