chrome linkert air cleaner cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chrome linkert air cleaner cover?

Were chrome Linkert air cleaner covers ever available from the factory on Harleys? I am talking about the type with the single screw in the center with the Harley "bar & shield" logo stamped into the front and service instructions on the top. It is the type used on DC model Linkert carbs on 1957-65 Sportsters and I'm sure Panheads as well.

Jerry!

Since nobody else will stick their neck out,
    My experience is that they were all stainless, unless molested.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks, I always thought that myself. But I wanted to check with the experts because the engraving on mine (logo, instructions) looks as deep as the original and I would think it would lose some of it's depth in the chroming/ polishing process.

If anyone knows of factory chromed air cleaners, please let me know before I toss this thing aside.
      Thanks,
      Jerry

Comment

Jerry,
        Lots of air cleaners were chromed, however the type you describe was only in stainless when stock. Most chromed ones were earlier J-Slot type. Some center screw types were black painted steel and were chromed after the fact.
        Robbie
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Yeah Jerry, I THINK the j-slot cover on the '48 was the last one to be chrome plated steel. After that, they went to stainless. Yours could easily be an original H-D part that has been since plated (like Rob said). Either way, if you're going to "toss" it aside, feel free to toss it my way!

Clark

Comment

I have a 1963 Duo Glide FLH and mine is stainless.
            Wayne

Comment

Some people have been known to have stainless parts chrome plated. A magnet won't stick to stainless.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

My 62 is stainless and was chromed when I first got it....no more though.

Comment

Working...
                X