Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coils

I'm wondering how the rest of you folks deal with re-pop coils. After about a thousand miles I think mine is starting to fail. Are they just a disposable item? I'm trying to figure out how a fella can run something that looks original and get some longevity out of it. What do you fellas that put on the miles use? Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Cory,
    Get in touch with Dale Cashman. He rebuilds original coils.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Robbie,

I kind of figured that would be the best solution. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

i had a couple of those round repops on my shovel cory,they dont seem to last to long,last one puked out just before horsthief,last round one i had is the one that you gave me moons ago it was on my shovel when it burnt in my shop fire,the screw caps melted.
        i put it on my bike and she ran like a top for the horsethief run and for my ride to the west kooteneys for the first part of this week, wonder if its original? its longer in the body than all the others and still works even after bieng burnt.

Comment

Hey Man!! The coil I'm referring to is the rectangular re-pop of what should be on my bike. The rivets on the bracket started to pull and the coil ended up loose in the mount. I carefully haywired it solid and rode it home that way. I'm pretty sure that coil I gave you was an original piece. It's funny how the real stuff will last and last (even after a fire!!!) but the "new" stuff craps out like it should be disposeable. I'm thinking that sourcing a "real" part may make all the difference. So you did make it over the mountain did ya? I hope all went well....
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Cory I deal with them by taking them off the bike and walking to the back door of my shop and throwing them as far out in the ravine as I can. Then I find a real one. A lot of the OEM ones are still good but just need new leads. I try to buy ones that do not have any dents. Also a OEM coil that is starting to fail usually starts to push the tar out the seams - stay away from those.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
              Cory,
              Get in touch with Dale Cashman. He rebuilds original coils.
              Robbie
              Rob, How do you get a hold of Mr. Cashman? Thanks, Bob
              AMCA #3149
              http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
                Cory I deal with them by taking them off the bike and walking to the back door of my shop and throwing them as far out in the ravine as I can. Then I find a real one. A lot of the OEM ones are still good but just need new leads. I try to buy ones that do not have any dents. Also a OEM coil that is starting to fail usually starts to push the tar out the seams - stay away from those.

Jerry
                Thanks Jerry..... so how many coils are in that ravine out back???
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Check out the "vendors rated" section on this forum for some good feedback on Dale Cashman.
                  Doug.
                  Doug McLaughlin #6607
                  NorCal, USA

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                    Thanks Jerry..... so how many coils are in that ravine out back???
                    Jerry, If your just throwing those repop coils away. Could you go out the the ravine and send me one?
                    AMCA 26656

47EL
                    47WL

Comment

Cory
                      I installed an original used coil on the dual carb panhead it lasted about ten minutes while at Eustice Fl. First fire out of the garage and out of the snow. The coil lasted long enough to be captured on video with a lifter collapse upon fire up. I replaced the coil with the good looking "light weight" reproduction as an emergency replacement. The lifter took care of itself.

The repo. coil lasted a day of two, that is it. Made in China it had two screws to disassemble for servicing. When I opened it up I found a little crudely crafted poor excuse of a coil consuming about 25 percent of the interior of the housing. Junk.

I now have a good original coil on the bike.

Joe

Comment

Thanks for the input Joe. The bike has been sitting for a couple of weeks without any attention. When I got home I got slammed with work and haven't had the gumption to get at it. When it slows down a bit I hope to round up a "real" coil and see if I can roll down the road without worrying about it crapping out!!
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                        X