Kicker Mainshaft Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kicker Mainshaft Gear

I'm looking at replacing the starter clutch and the starter mainshaft gear on my '48 FL and was curious as to the differences between 33430-36 ('39- early '50) and 33430-50 ( later '50-'54... my book only goes that far!) Could I run the later gear as long as I have the correct key? I ask this as I can't seem to find the earlier gear. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

The aftermarket replacements work fine for a stock motor Cory. A couple of things to look for, check for wear on the mainshaft where the bushing rides, if it is worn more than a couple thousandths and the new gear fit is sloppy the gears won't engage cleanly and won't last long. If that surface looks ok, make sure the outer gear is fully seated in the mainshaft when installed. You can fit the gear without the key and measure to the flat surface of the gear from the end of the mainshaft. There should be no difference in the measurement when the key is in place.
    Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

If the shaft is worn I replace the bushing with a good quality one and hone it to fit the worn area. If the shaft has a taper worn in it you can "custom" fit the bushing to it. It's time consuming but I've done it many times and well worth the effort. Works for hi gear and other applications also.
      If you have to press the gear over the un-worn area make sure you have a way to pull it back off if there needs to be an adjustment to the size.
      Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

Thanks for the replies fellas! It's looking like I may just be reaching on the shelf for the new starter clutch spring and running these gears for another season. Sounds like our postal workers are going to walk out on us. I appreciate the info though and it will come in handy down the line for sure!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

I would recommend usind the 33430-59 14 tooth starter gear.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Gives me something to ponder. Thanks for mentioning it Chris. Does it offer much of an advantage?
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

I agree with Chris, Cory you're going to get more kick for the buck. They changed it for a reason. I have the 59 in all my bikes. Bob L
              AMCA #3149
              http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Well that's two votes and that's good enough for me. It does make sense. I'll know on Thursday whether it's worth risking an order in the mail. If not the ol' 16 tooth goes back in for now.
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                X