Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elc pics

Hi you guys,

is anybody here who can show some pic of the elc, or tell where to find some.
    (there only a very few with google).
    I am special interested to see the oiltank vents, which where different to other - seemed to be a ´38/´39 oiltank in ´42, with special venttubes and seemed both upper are the same size / same banjo bolts - who has info to that special?

Thanks in advance
    Andreas

The guy you need to talk to is Peter Reeves on this forum. He has some ELC's and probably can answer your questions. I am sure he will respond to your post.

Jerry

Comment

It is the 1937 type oil tank. The banjo bolts are the same as 1936/'37. '38 did not use banjo bolts.
      Last edited by Chris Haynes; 05-24-2011, 10:31 AM.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks Jerry, thanks Chris.
        Yes found Peter Reeves by googleing... but only too small pics of his elc.
        Hopefully he replys with some more pics and info about the oillines.
        Yes Chris I know you are right - my mistake - I want to write not ´38/´39 and later - I have some ´37 oiltanks in my storage...
        and was wondering on the elc oiltank since I first saw pictures of that bike in Bruce Palmers "How torestore your military H-D". ....and since I recogniced may be I have one of them in my cellar...
        Today was time to ask you guys about that.

Andreas

Comment

Andreas.
          You are correct, both oil return and vent pipe connectors are the same larger size on the ELC oil tank which has its own unique part number (3503-42.) This differs from the 1937 oiltank which has a smaller vent pipe connection.
          It’s likely that Harley modified existing spare parts stock 1937 oiltanks for the ELCs as unlike other 1942 big twins they still had embossed tops and bottoms.
          Contact me using private messages on this forum I will do what I can to help.
          Pete Reeves. 860

Comment

Peter.
            It may be an optical illusion but it looks to be one small and one large fitting in my photo.
            Be sure to visit;

Comment

Chris.
              Determining what parts were used, based on blowing up pictures can be misleading. Yes it could be an optical illusion or it could be that this is a picture of the prototype bike which differed from actual production bikes.
              I have seen at least 5 ELC oil tanks all have the same (large) threaded holes for both the vent and return connection.
              I have original flexible vent pipes which are the same as the return pipe both have the large banjo. The parts book lists 3572-41B oil tank vent and return pipe 2 required for each bike.
              Pete Reeves 860

Comment

Thanks Peter,
                I have never seen a complete ELC in the flesh. I know a couple guys trying to put them together from parts. That is a harder job that a '36EL.
                Be sure to visit;

Comment

Peter,
                  thanks for information, will send pm later.

I am really sure I have that elc oiltank. Bought it a couple of year ago in munich for my ´38 project, thinking it was a ´37oiltank.
                  It is as Peter discribed it, with the same vent line holes - over the years it got some dings and was painted black, not very good, so you can see org olive darb paint and you can see it was the org paint,
                  As BP wrote in his book, only 3 of 44 were returned to canada I believe most of the parts are still in europe.

Chris,
                  the couple of guys with the hard job you know, may be I can make their job easier ... I think about to trade it for a ´38/´39 tank.
                  Andreas

Comment

Andreas,
                    PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the few photos I have of the ELC
                    Ralph

Comment

elc oil tank

Originally posted by enthusiast View Post
                      Peter,
                      thanks for information, will send pm later.

I am really sure I have that elc oiltank. Bought it a couple of year ago in munich for my ´38 project, thinking it was a ´37oiltank.
                      It is as Peter discribed it, with the same vent line holes - over the years it got some dings and was painted black, not very good, so you can see org olive darb paint and you can see it was the org paint,
                      As BP wrote in his book, only 3 of 44 were returned to canada I believe most of the parts are still in europe.

Chris,
                      the couple of guys with the hard job you know, may be I can make their job easier ... I think about to trade it for a ´38/´39 tank.
                      Andreas
                      I could use that Elc oil tank! please email me wildwest@telus.net thx.

Comment

Originally posted by dommi7 View Post
                        Andreas,
                        Or you could post them here for all to see.
                        Be sure to visit;

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                          Thanks Peter,
                          I have never seen a complete ELC in the flesh. I know a couple guys trying to put them together from parts. That is a harder job that a '36EL.
                          At the European AMCA meets there has been at least two of Pete's inmaculate ELC's up for judging.

Fiskis
                          AMCA #2124

Comment

Originally posted by dommi7 View Post
                            Andreas,
                            ...sorry, I was a long time absend here...

Ralph,
                            thank you very much for the pics. That was what I want to see if I am correct.

Canknuck,
                            just saw your note. I sent you an email.

Thanks to all, for informations.

Andreas

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                              Or you could post them here for all to see.
                              Here you go. Two more to come (I hope - is there a 5 file limit to each post?)
                              Photos from the 2006 European Chapter meet (I highly recommend attending). I talked with the owner, but cannot remember any of what he said. You gotta love German beer!
                              Attached Files
                              Ralph

Comment

Working...
                              X