Export 1938 EL just finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Export 1938 EL just finished

I just finished my export 1938 EL. It runs and rides great. Here are a couple pictures and I also made a quick video to present it which you can see here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeGSgjZpHo8
    Attached Files
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Eric MATHIEU @ Beauty of Speed
    www.beautyofspeed.com

I like what you did with the knuck Eric. Very nice, thanks for posting on it.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Nice one there Eric, thanks for sharing.
      Any clues to why it was originally stripped down?

Comment

You have a beautiful bike Eric. Thanks for the pictures and the video.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by Greg H View Post
          Nice one there Eric, thanks for sharing.
          Any clues to why it was originally stripped down?
          Taken apart to hide it from the Nazis during their Occupation of France, 1940-45? Like the 1936 in the Netherlands? Is the 1946 license plate original to that bike, too, tho? That would blow my theory.
          Gerry Lyons #607
          http://www.37ul.com/
          http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

A real gem; great work!...Bones

Comment

Is the 1946 license plate original to that bike, too, tho? That would blow my theory.
              Looked like a '47 Missouri plate to me, which doesn't jive with export status!
              Very cool Eric, Sounds and looks great!
              Robbie
              Last edited by Rubone; 05-01-2011, 07:46 PM.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Lovely restoration/preservation! And sweet running.

Curious why HD kept the olive green on export models for so many years after they began offering very bright color schemes in the US? Was the olive the only color offered on export bikes? Or just one of many options? Was olive an optional color in the US? (I assume you could have any color you wanted if you were willing to pay for it... but curious as to whether it was widely used.)

Cheers, Sirhr

Comment

The plate is not original to the bike I just put it on there for pictures. I don't know why the bike was originally taken apart but I did find an engine in need of major overhaul. The cam was completely destroyed from use of too strong valve springs or something like that. I bought the bike form Michel Borie, who was the son of Pierre Borie, the oldest Harley dealer in France still in activity. Michel was a dealer himself and had the engine on display at his shop for years. He got the bike from his father and was keeping it for himself until he realized he would never do it and I was able to buy it through a friend. I found "PB" stamped on parts of the motor which was common practice from the father Pierre Borie. Luckily neither of them never had the chance to "restore" it. I thought it was alot harder to do a bike like this than a restoration. I stated with most of a complete bike and it still took 4 years.
                  Eric
                  www.beautyofspeed.com

Comment

Very, very nice. You are to be commended.
                    Lonnie Campbell #9908
                    South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

very nice job, I love to see and hear those knucklehead stories, thanks for sharing, Larry

Comment

very nice bike eric. just a note, the horn button needs to be the shorter style. iffen you really want to get picky.
                        AMCA #765

Comment

Bravo Eric, c'est vraiment une machine exceptionnelle. Si j'avais su que le père Borie avait cela dans son stock ... Cordialement Eric
                          http://www.harley-memories.com
                          http://harley8valves.wordpress.com/
                          AMCA Membership#5701

Comment

I just mounted some accessories I had been gathering on the bike and thought I'd share a shot. That's an original 38/39 Deluxe Alligator Buddy seat!

Also, a friend of mine posted some nice shots of the 38 on his blog for those who want to see some details.
                            http://southsiders-mc.blogspot.com/2...-of-speed.html
                            www.beautyofspeed.com

Comment

Eric

Looks to me it may have VL fork springs with all that air under the front fender. Count the full coils of the main fork springs 11.5 are knuck 13+ ar VL.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X