'46 Shift gate question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • len dowe
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    I'm glad you see a typo. I see a brain fart.
    I have those all the time like putting my 38 back together. but i'm not a amca senior judge.

    Leave a comment:


  • Chris Haynes
    replied
    Originally posted by Rub View Post
    Anyone have one of the little reversing levers? I have an NOS shift gate that I am using on a '41EL bobber project but don't have the lever. I know what they look like and can fab one (or turn my late lever over!) but I'd like to find an original one.
    thanks
    Robbie
    Here you can order the whole kit for $3.99. For an extra $3.30 you can get a stainless steel brake hand lever assembly.

    Leave a comment:


  • 46EL
    replied
    I was sorting some more stuff and found another Lever so that makes two. Also found a used Gate like the one shown above and a milk crate overfilled and overstuffed with what looks like B+H Footshift parts, pieces, linkage and Hardware including 2 complete Mousetraps and 2 complete Footshift assemblys among other items. Also found in the lot are 2 tank shift levers that i've never seen before?? Look custom made but might be an old aftermarket? Real nice custom bobber style stuff. I'll trade it all for nice barn fresh straight original pair of rubber pre 40 rectangular Footboards and a 39-57 rigid rear stand that I need. The Milk Crate feels like it weighs over 100 pounds so hopefully If I find someone intetrested we can do the trade at Rhinebeck?

    Leave a comment:


  • RichO
    replied
    nation-bilt shiftgate

    I've run one on my '40 el for many years. They are a must if you run a set of tru-dual exhaust to clear the clutch rod on an earlier than '47 ohv BT.

    Leave a comment:


  • Chris Haynes
    replied
    I have a B&H reversing lever.

    Leave a comment:


  • 46EL
    replied
    I have one of those levers laying around here somewhere. Email me at chief348(at)juno.com for a photo.
    I recently saw one of those setups on an original paint 46FL Barn Bike that surfaced here in New England last year. 46EL

    Leave a comment:


  • Rubone
    replied
    Anyone have one of the little reversing levers? I have an NOS shift gate that I am using on a '41EL bobber project but don't have the lever. I know what they look like and can fab one (or turn my late lever over!) but I'd like to find an original one.
    thanks
    Robbie

    Leave a comment:


  • Chris Haynes
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
    Typo Chris - Pre 40 didn't have the shut off rod - 1940 was introductory year for it. Jerry
    I'm glad you see a typo. I see a brain fart.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jerry Wieland
    replied
    Typo Chris - Pre 40 didn't have the shut off rod - 1940 was introductory year for it. Jerry

    Leave a comment:


  • Chris Haynes
    replied
    Originally posted by TimR View Post
    Tom in an earlier post you mentioned that the tank was not indented for the shift gate. I can not see the area for the tank fuel shut-off rod. What tanks are those pictured?
    Pre 1941 didn't have the shut off rod. The other matching paint tank laying on the bench appears to be from a 45".

    Leave a comment:


  • TimR
    replied
    Tom in an earlier post you mentioned that the tank was not indented for the shift gate. I can not see the area for the tank fuel shut-off rod. What tanks are those pictured?

    Leave a comment:


  • T. Cotten
    replied
    Many thanks!

    Now I want one even more.

    ....Cotten

    Leave a comment:


  • sirhrmechanic
    replied
    Very cool! Learn something new every day.

    Thanks Oldsouth!

    Cheers,

    Sirhr

    Leave a comment:


  • oldsouthmcy
    replied
    It is 1940's aftermarket. The description in the Long Island Motorcycle Exchange 1949 catalog reads: "For converting Harley-Davidson prior to 1947 to the new fast and forward shifting. Made of cast bronze beautifully chrome plated. Fits in exact place of present gate. No mechanics needed to make the change. Do it yourself in not more than 10 minutes."

    For the gate maybe. The kit also includes a toggle that has to be bolted to the tranmission lid ( the kits are for four speeds) shift lever. The toggle is diamond and drops the shift rod below the pivot so to actually reverse the shift direction.

    "New fast and forward shifting" goes along with the how I remember the shift direction when riding a 47 & later machine: "fast is forward."

    Leave a comment:


  • T. Cotten
    replied
    SirH!

    Please look closer at my attachment;
    It is not the common '47 and later gate, as the tanks are not indented.

    ....Cotten

    Leave a comment:

Working...