'46 Shift gate question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '46 Shift gate question

Did all '46 machines come with the common style of shift gate?
    When did the gate shown in the attachment come into use;
    In the middle of the production year, or is it a retro-fit item?

Thanks in advance,

.....Cotten
    Attached Files
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

That is a '47 and up gate.

The '41 - 46 gate was flat w. out the lip on the edge. I do not know if any late '46 bikes had that style of gate... or if the change came with the 'official' 47 model year changeover. Nothing surprises me with HD. They would evolve changes sometimes rather than just change everything at once. And like now, you could buy 'next year's' '47 model in late '46 so who knows if there was some transition.

My tanks are out being painted now or I would post a picture.

If you can wait until later today, I'll scan one out of a book.

Cheers,

Sirhr.

Comment

SirH!

Please look closer at my attachment;
      It is not the common '47 and later gate, as the tanks are not indented.

....Cotten
      AMCA #776

Comment

It is 1940's aftermarket. The description in the Long Island Motorcycle Exchange 1949 catalog reads: "For converting Harley-Davidson prior to 1947 to the new fast and forward shifting. Made of cast bronze beautifully chrome plated. Fits in exact place of present gate. No mechanics needed to make the change. Do it yourself in not more than 10 minutes."

For the gate maybe. The kit also includes a toggle that has to be bolted to the tranmission lid ( the kits are for four speeds) shift lever. The toggle is diamond and drops the shift rod below the pivot so to actually reverse the shift direction.

"New fast and forward shifting" goes along with the how I remember the shift direction when riding a 47 & later machine: "fast is forward."
        Bruce Palmer III
        AMCA #667

How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson

How to Restore Your Military Harley-Davidson

Comment

Very cool! Learn something new every day.

Thanks Oldsouth!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Many thanks!

Now I want one even more.

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

Tom in an earlier post you mentioned that the tank was not indented for the shift gate. I can not see the area for the tank fuel shut-off rod. What tanks are those pictured?

Comment

Originally posted by TimR View Post
                Tom in an earlier post you mentioned that the tank was not indented for the shift gate. I can not see the area for the tank fuel shut-off rod. What tanks are those pictured?
                Pre 1941 didn't have the shut off rod. The other matching paint tank laying on the bench appears to be from a 45".
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Typo Chris - Pre 40 didn't have the shut off rod - 1940 was introductory year for it. Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
                    Typo Chris - Pre 40 didn't have the shut off rod - 1940 was introductory year for it. Jerry
                    I'm glad you see a typo. I see a brain fart.
                    Be sure to visit;

Comment

Anyone have one of the little reversing levers? I have an NOS shift gate that I am using on a '41EL bobber project but don't have the lever. I know what they look like and can fab one (or turn my late lever over!) but I'd like to find an original one.
                      thanks
                      Robbie
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I have one of those levers laying around here somewhere. Email me at chief348(at)juno.com for a photo.
                        I recently saw one of those setups on an original paint 46FL Barn Bike that surfaced here in New England last year. 46EL

Comment

I have a B&H reversing lever.
                          Be sure to visit;

Comment

nation-bilt shiftgate

I've run one on my '40 el for many years. They are a must if you run a set of tru-dual exhaust to clear the clutch rod on an earlier than '47 ohv BT.
                            DrSprocket

Comment

I was sorting some more stuff and found another Lever so that makes two. Also found a used Gate like the one shown above and a milk crate overfilled and overstuffed with what looks like B+H Footshift parts, pieces, linkage and Hardware including 2 complete Mousetraps and 2 complete Footshift assemblys among other items. Also found in the lot are 2 tank shift levers that i've never seen before?? Look custom made but might be an old aftermarket? Real nice custom bobber style stuff. I'll trade it all for nice barn fresh straight original pair of rubber pre 40 rectangular Footboards and a 39-57 rigid rear stand that I need. The Milk Crate feels like it weighs over 100 pounds so hopefully If I find someone intetrested we can do the trade at Rhinebeck?

Comment

Working...
                              X