46 EL Transmission Top Cover/Ratchet position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 46 EL Transmission Top Cover/Ratchet position

In continuing work on the '46, I am putting the original tanks back on.

When I got the bike, it came with a pair of '51 tanks, which have a different shift pattern. It also had the original '46 tanks, which I am getting ready to repaint for reinstallation.

To change the tanks (and shifter gates), I need to change the position of the lever in relation to the shifter drum in the top cover of the transmission. The 'Pan transmission/shifter has the shifter lever on the top cover pointed downwards. The Knucklehead EL requires that the shifter lever on the top cover points upwards. This way, the shifter lever pulls 'backwards' to upshift. On the Pan, the shifter pushed forwards to upshift.

I have the top cover off and it "appears" that all I need to do is re-orient the gears in the top cover so that the transmission lever is 180 degrees from the position it was in for the 'Pan tanks.

Am I correct? There must be a specific orientation between the drum and the shifter lever. Can anyone post a picture or let me know the right position? I can't find a specific position in any of my manuals.

Thanks and cheers,

Sirhr
    Last edited by sirhrmechanic; 02-02-2011, 06:56 PM. Reason: Typos

You are correct, just flip it 180. Make sure you get the index marks back together right on the shift drum to gear.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

sirmechanic, make sure that the inner primary is the correct one for that shift pattern. The spot welded tab on the transmission side of the inner primary should curve around the opening for the trans drive, the later '47 & up shift pattern had the tab that curves away from the opening to clear the shift lever. Tim

Comment

Thanks! I'll check. I think it's the original inner primary. It's definitely not a repop. But I'll see what I have!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Rebuilt the cover weekend and all came out great. The drum had lots of burrs on it and with some filing and stoning, it was smooth as glass. I re-bushed the lever and set the gears to proper mesh. The drum shaft had some rust on it, so that's clean. I also put in a new 1/2" ball as there were some pits on the original ball. The difference in smoothness between before/after is incredible. It shifts with just a snick of the fingers.

Thanks to all who helped.

Cheers, Sirhr

Comment

Working...
            X