knuckle tank strips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knuckle tank strips

Does anyone have knowledge on installing the strip mounting brackets on the tanks and how to attatch the strips without damage---is there info out there on this??? Thanks

We just put the strip mounting brackets (back) on my '46 EL tanks. One emblem bracket and one strip bracket were broken off and had to be replaced. They were spot welded on. We put them back after dent removal and before sending them to seal as the spot welding will wreck the sealant. They could also be put on with silver solder, probably. But we spotted them.

Before welding or silver soldering, make sure the tanks are empty and empty of fumes!!!! You can do a lot of damage to yourself by welding on tanks w. fumes inside. My tanks were cleaned/beaded in the '70s and had been in good storage, so were safe. But if your tanks were recently full of gasoline, they are not welder-safe w.out major cleaning.

Once the brackets are spotted on, the stainless strips then snap over the lips of the mounting brackets. Test fit all before painting, BTW. As you will want to make sure everything snaps together before you have paint on it.

Finally, note that the HD Springer Classic (2000-2006 or so) used the same style tank emblems, but held them on with modern trim adhesive/double side tape. If you are trying to put emblems back on the tanks while keeping a bike on the road, your local HD dealer will have an adhesive kit. Also, JP Cycles sells adhesive tape mounting kits for most emblem brackets. Not sure about the '41-'46 but I think I have seen them in the catalog. It's another option if authenticity isn't absolutely necessary.

While on the subject, my *plan* when I repaint my tanks will be to prime the brackets with the tank, but then mask the lips of the strip mounts before shooting color. I don't want to build up paint on the edges and have issues chipping/breaking the edge of the paint when putting the strips on. Anyone who has painted these tanks and knows the right way to paint around the brackets, please let me know if this is a good way to proceed.

Tanks will be painted in Single Stage (Chroma Premiere) Flight Red.

Thanks and cheers and hope this helps. I can see if Derrick took any pictures as he was doing the re-mounting of the brackets. I will post if we have any.

Sirhr
    Last edited by sirhrmechanic; 01-21-2011, 07:06 PM. Reason: I left in typos.

Comment

Folks,

Welding, and even brass-brazing is destructive, and not adjustable.

That's why soft solder was invented.

....Cotten
      Attached Files
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I considered soft soldering... and decided not to... but not necessarily for any good reason. Certainly strong enough given the surface area. And gives the advantage of no dead space under the bracket for rust to form. If I do another one... I'll try soft solder first. Of note, there was some lead on the tank from old crash damage. But I didn't see evidence of soft solder in the area of the strip brackets. Were the brackets originally soft soldered on? Thanks and cheers, Sirhr

Comment

Were the brackets originally soft soldered on?
          No the were spot welded. And be aware that many tanks for police use as well as military variations never had emblem mounts or trim on them!
          Robbie
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks for the info. I think I`ll go with the solder. I was about 10 feet from a tank that my dad was brazing on--filled with water but a small air space--went "woof-woof" and then opened up. No injuries but I developed a respect for gas tanks.

The strips fit very tight on the mounts--rubber mallet??

Thanks again

Comment

-filled with water but a small air space
              Absolutely the WRONG way. Any steam created will become a bomb. Ever seen a boiler explode?
              Robbie
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
                Absolutely the WRONG way. Any steam created will become a bomb. Ever seen a boiler explode?
                Robbie
                Only if the vessel is sealed. No pressure, no problem.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

I have a set of 40 to 46 BT Flathead Tanks on ebay right now. Someone Soldered the trim strip mounts on the tanks and the Strips NEVER fit. The mounts have a rounded edge to them that the Strips snaps over and that is what holds them in place. If any Solder comes out to the top and bottom of the mounts anywhere it will interfere with putting the strips on. You also need to monitor how much if any paint goes on the mounts. I have a friend who restores Knuckles and he masks off the mounts and gets no paint whatsoever on them. Good Luck! 46EL

Comment

Thanks 46EL, I can understand what you are describing. The strips are a very tight fit. This is one of those projects that could go terribly wrong and even cause some disfunction with the wife. When I start I might even warn her. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                    X