X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• springer front fork casting #'s ...

Does anybody know the casting number code for spring forks # 2606-36 for
    Knucklehead from 1936 until 1947 ?
    There is " TC - 20 TF symbol ?? >>> the last one or two digits are used at which year?
    Especially for a 37E Knucklehead ...
    And second, how are the spring fork correct mounted. If the casting # is visible
    in front or in rear ? Georg

The casting number are facing rearward.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thank you Chris ! Do you know the meaning of the last digit(s) from the casting # ?
      Georg

Comment

the last digit on the front leg is a revision number . Every time they made a new casting the number went up starting with #1 . If I remember right 48 is around 16-18 in the 30's numbers would be 3,4,5,6 and so on on .This revision number is also om the frames it is usual found after a little square box with DIF inside . I was told that stood for Detroit International Foundry.

Comment

There are also different shapes to the forgings and additional subtle variations. It is my understanding these are forgings, not castings.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

A few years ago there was a long debate about this on the flathead power forum you may be able to find it if you go there and do a search.
            From memory it was concluded that providing there were no cast in cut outs which later forks have, the number could face the front or the rear .The later the bike the higher the number. 1 would have been correct for early 1936 ELs . It’s nice to have the number close to what it should be but it’s not a detail judges should be deducting points for.
            Pete Reeves 860

Comment

Ah yes, the cut out in the spring fork. I had forgotten about that. The cutout always faces the rigid fork. In looking at other factory photos, where it is possible to see this area, it is noted that early bikes seem to have the numbers out at times and other times it is in. So I guess on the early bikes there was no assembly direction on which way it faced. This is good if you are unsure if yourr spring fork is in the right number range or not.
              Be sure to visit;

Comment

Originally posted by pete reeves View Post
                It’s nice to have the number close to what it should be but it’s not a detail judges should be deducting points for.
                Pete Reeves 860
                Peter,
                I really don't see why. In my opinion wrong year casting numbers parts should deduct points, wether on fork, cylinders etc... I alway felt bikes with totally off casting numbers looked goofy. If you are going to enter the judging game then you have to do a good job and accept the fact that it's not easy.
                Eric
                :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                Eric MATHIEU @ Beauty of Speed
                www.beautyofspeed.com

Comment

I disagree Eric. That sort of fussiness leaves too much to personal interpretation. For instance, would you like to get a points deduction when a judge determines that the number 4 on your 1940 model should be a 5? I don't think there is enough info available to appoint casting numbers to year and/or VIN.
                  Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Thank you all for the interesting discussion.
                    First i note, the casted or forged # on the front fork can face to the front or rear!
                    That different issue I've seen on several Springer Harleys, e.g. in the HD-Museum
                    in Milwaukee. I think, in that case they had no assembly instruction in the factory...
                    Second, in my opinion, to deduct points in the judging process, you have to know exactly which #'s are assemblied from the factory in which year ( or month ). But it
                    seems me, nobody knows the used front fork #'s from 1936 to 1948, starting with 1
                    until 18 , matching to the production year/month - only "approximately" ! So it would
                    be difficult to decide where the border is for deduction or not ...
                    But i learned a lot - Georg

Comment

Georg Schorsch regarding the spring leg I have seen them with #s as high as 22. I haven't seen a document that list what # spring leg belongs on a particular year.
                      Some 1949 Pans came with springer front forks.

Peter Reeves in post #5 from Eric Smith he shows 3 of the many different casting profiles used. You said that the # should not be a point deduction, what is your ruling on incorrect profile of the spring leg? What about the profile of the ridged leg (one from 1945 on a1937?) Welded vs. brazed?

Thanks Tim

Comment

Tim.
                        My understanding of our rules and practices, is that if the casting is wrong for the year or it has been welded when it should be brazed it would be subject to a points deduction.
                        Pete Reeves 860

Comment

Originally posted by pete reeves View Post
                          Tim.
                          My understanding of our rules and practices, is that if the casting is wrong for the year or it has been welded when it should be brazed it would be subject to a points deduction.
                          Pete Reeves 860
                          Peter,
                          Who determines if the casting is wrong for a particular year? Is there a list to go by? If a 1941 has a number 5 on it is it incorrect? How about a '38 with a number 12? Has anybody scrutinized unmolested bikes to compile a list?
                          Be sure to visit;

Comment

My unmolested 1938 EL has a number 4 front leg casting
                            Eric MATHIEU @ Beauty of Speed
                            www.beautyofspeed.com

Comment

Which # would be correct for a 37E Knuckle? Number 2 or 3 ?
                              I learned # 1 is 1936 and # 4 is 1938 .... Georg

Comment

Working...
                              X